Keeping the Pi updated

Just a generalized question for all the folks who use any Raspberry Pi for ADSB flight tracking.
How often should the Pi be updated ?
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Thanks,
Glenn

Only when there is a new version of Piaware, otherwise I leave it alone.

2 Likes

I look after a whole bunch of Pis and when I first install stuff on them, I ensure they’re fully, completely up to date. When I look at the uptimes, I can see that some of them have been up for many hundreds of days.

I’ve only recently rebuilt my two feeders and they’d both been up for nearly a year. That’s how long since I last updated the OS.

1 Like

Well you can update everything but the kernel without rebooting :slight_smile:

Of course there is no urgent need to.

3 Likes
if (it ain't broke) {
   don't fix it
}
6 Likes

Yup

1 Like

I was under the impression that regular updates are useful (maybe essential) for security issues.

The PiAware runs on a Debian Linux system and all Linux systems have regular security updates - as does Windows and Mac.

Must admit I don’t update my two PiAware systems as regularly as my main Linux laptop but I do run the update commands however tend to go for sudo apt update rather than dist-upgrade.

Geffers

1 Like

I hope you mean upgrade?
Always need “apt update” to update the package lists and then “apt upgrade” (no matter which variety) to actually upgrade the installed software.

2 Likes

Yep, did indeed mean upgrade :sunglasses:

Geffers

1 Like

It wasn’t broke - I upgraded - it’s broken. A bit…
No updated graphs for “Disk I/O” since I upgraded the RPi kernel today from Linux version 4.14.98-v7+ to Linux version 4.19.42-v7+ (package raspberrypi-kernel 1.20190517-1).
This kernel has some changes in /proc/diskstats that Collectd v5.7.1 can’t handle.
Reference on GitHub: /proc/diskstats changes in Linux 4.19 #2951

You’re all warned! And @wiedehopf will probably get some questions on his graphs I guess…

Yeah i hit that problem quite some time ago and there has been some discussion in the graphs thread.

I’ve listed it as a known bug on my github page as well.

Thought about making a workaround but decided against it.
We’ll just have to wait until the fix that is already in collectd makes it into a Raspbian package.

That could be some time but to be honest the disk graphs aren’t that important in my opinion.

I installed package collectd-core_5.8.1-1.3_armhf.deb from Index of /raspbian/pool/main/c/collectd over version 5.7.1-1.1 and it works again.
Only the RRD-file disk-mmcblk0/pending_operations.rrd is not being updated anymore.

1 Like

Wasn’t being used anyway in the graphs.

Downloading the package seems to be a nice alternative.

wget -O /tmp/collectd.deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/pool/main/c/collectd/collectd-core_5.8.1-1.3_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/collectd.deb

This works nicely but when they change version the download will stop working.
Anyway i’ll mention it in the graphs thread.

1 Like

I have a strange feeling of deja vu :wink:

Possible forum spammer from India - check the username on www.stopforumspam.com.