Is there a way to archive and view data from my own feed?

I have looked in the discussions and find some arcane discussions about dumps and such. Is there an accessible way to keep an archive of my feed? I am near a rural airport and would like to be able to go back, for instance, and see how many flights came in in a certain week–that kind of thing.

Thanks.

BEAST-logging - GitHub - denzen84/beastblackbox: A tool to read and decode binary BEAST log from the file. Based on dump1090 sources.

PiAware Feeding sites have access to 8 month of history data.
https://flightaware.com

Enterprise access is automatically setup for feeder sites.
https://flightaware.com/commercial/premium/

8 months of history data is very cool!

On my feeder page I can see “FLIGHTS WITH POSITIONS FROM THIS FEEDER ON FLIGHTAWARE.COM WITHIN THE LAST HOUR” but don’t see a way to look at history older than that or specify a date/time range.
How do I access/view/replay my feed for data older than 1 hour?

Also, is there any way to filter only the data from my own feeder and not see any tracking reports not submitted by me?

1 Like

That isn’t quite how it works. You send plane position messages to FlightAware and it gets analyzed and collated with other user’s information. It is hard to go back in time to play back only the parts that you send to us.

The 8 months of history data is for all the planes FlightAware is tracking in the world minus any planes that are on the block list.

How do I access/view/replay my feed for data older than 1 hour?

If you know the plane flight number, tail number, etc you can type it into the flightaware homepage. It will then bring up the history of that specific plane. You can then go back 8 months into the history of that plane. This is the final collated data from many data feeds.

We don’t store your specific feed but it is processed and the collated with other.

Also, is there any way to filter only the data from my own feeder and not see any tracking reports not submitted by me?

There isn’t a way through FlightAware. PiAware has a local data feed that you can save locally on your side. There are some programs people have made to store this information for playback and analysis.

I have a FlightFeeder. Is there a way to capture the data feed from that?

another way is to use Planeplotter and set it to receive data from your receiver (typical port 30005) and log it in Airmaster format. you will also get a separate mlat-only file, per day.
however you have to compress this data as it gets huge very fast, say, once every 15 days.
I think they have a feature that you can ‘playback’ specific data too.

"2018/04/26","09:23:05.000","1111111","AB84AB","DAL413 ","Unknown","0","8825","8825","37.67839","23.90175","-2880","-2880","310.0","222.6","0","4715"

6 records of raw data for A24BF9 copied to myself 04:06:00

FlightFeeder have the same local data feeds as PiAware.
You can type http://IPofFeeder:30005 into your web browser to see the feed.

You need a program to collect and display the data. You can point a ADSB program to the IP of your feeder with port 30004 or 30005.

Virtual radar server is a popular one that is free

VRS (VirtualRadarServer) at Desktop/Laptop

CYYZ is a busy place, 58 planes, and likely not at its busiest hour. Here in CYOW area, 25 planes is the most I have ever seen with my receiver.

That was only beast feed (port 30005) to VRS. Now I have switched to Merged feed (ports 30005 beast + 30106 mlat) to VRS, the number of planes jumped up. Strange thing is the difference of plane numbers on SkyView (74) and VRS (67).

I have seen that discrepancy, and suspect it has to do with different time outs or drop times (not sure of the correct nomenclature) between Skyview and VRS.

This is with the following Receiver:
Pi Model 2 + ProStick Plus + FA Filter + Indoor Whip (which came free with Generic DVB-T), to which I did 2 modifications:

1. Cut its removeable part to 52mm (15mm fixed part is hidden inside plastic base, so its total length is 52+15=67mm).
  2. Provided a ground plane by cookie can lid.
  3. Ate the Cookies

cookie%20moster

I never said life was fair. LOL

Getting ready to move the antenna outdoors. Looking forward to an improvement. Let’s see if it materializes.

The default dump1090 TTL (time to live) for plane count is 60 seconds.

dump1090-fa -help
The option is interactive-ttl

There is no corresponding piaware-config for the TTL so this requires editing the startup script to change.
I guess you can set this to a crazy long time if you want a spaghetti type mess on your Skyview.

Dump1090 counts all planes… mode-s, ADSB, MLAT. I am guessing that some message types are not being used in VRS?

In my limited experience with VRS, it counts both Mode S and ADS-B ‘transparently’ to the user. Unless you have the transponder, lat, and long fields enabled, you would not know which is which.

As for MLAT, the only difference for VRS is whether the plane will be displayed on the map or not. If it’s positionless, it shows on the list only. If MLATed, it shows on both the list and the map.

I wrote a thing to solve this:

2 Likes