IFR Flight Plans

Is there any web site that can provide info contained in IFR flight plans such as number of SOB (souls on board), pilots name (if not owner), etc.??

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to know this? Are you an industrial spy?

Before this thread turns into a flame fest, I just want to remind everyone to keep it friendly and professional. :slight_smile:

What, you are going to abridge Damiross’ First Amendment Rights to harass, cajole or badger anyone on any topic? I’m shocked, shocked! <oh yeah, this is a private web site and that doesn’t apply here - carry on>

To answer the question – no.

Yup, dbaker is right - this is a private board and the 2nd amendment doesn’t apply nor would I want it to.

I’m still curious why he would want the SOB and pilot data, though. (strike out the industrial spy part of my original posting, por favor (that’s Spanish for a favor that ain’t rich)).

The second amendment is the one that talks about a well regulated militia and the right to keep and bear arms. The relevant amendment for this discussion is the first: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances” which does not apply in this private forum.

Sorry - slip of the finger. I, of course, did mean the first amendment.

I think that that would be good information to have if it was available. Sometimes I want to know what pilot from my company is flying a specific flight. My mother (loves to track my plane) wouldn’t have to call me to see if that was me that just flew to Florida. The number of passengers could be interesting also to see when a flight is deadheading somewhere… etc.

I know when we filed at the airlines our dispatchers didn’t even provide that information on the flight plan.

One possibility: the suspicious spouse checking-up on hubby.

With FlightAware, she knows if hubby is going to a conference in Witchita or to live it up in Vegas. With the additional flight plan info, she’ll know if hubby is really going alone or bringing a special guest along. If that information was available, I think that’d be a major invasion of privacy!

DAL does. I was on a DL flight (FYI: NEVER fly on DL) and I saw that the pilot’s Nav Log gave the number on pax.

All of the airlines provide the captain with the number of people on board.

The captain and the airline know the number of people on the airplane but it is not provided on the flight plan. If you think about it, they don’t know how many people are actually going to be on the flight until the door closes. The flight plan is filed long before that. I think the number that CitationX saw was the number of booked passengers to help plan for weight and performance issues. If there is a problem with the flight the airline will be contacted for the actual number of people that were on the plane.

When the dispatchers had computer problems and we had to file the flight plan, for number of passengers we would tell the briefer that it was on file with the company.

I do agree that this information should NOT be available to the general public, but it would be interesting if it was.

I must divert from protocol and agree with Dami, twice in two weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I never did say it was on the flight plan. Here’s exactly what I said: “All of the airlines provide the captain with the number of people on board.”

The captain, sterotyping here, is very curious about how many people are on the aircraft as is his/her/its buddy the friendly flight dispatcher. They have this strange habit of liking to know how heavy the aircraft is before it takes off.

Thinking about it a little bit more, the number of people on board is on the flight plan. However, it’s not necessarily on the flight plan that is filed with the FAA. That flight plan probably says something along the lines of “SOB: on file”

The number of people aboard is a required piece of information to file an IFR flight plan. So the FAA has it in their computers for each flight, but don’t know if they release it to anyone else.

Actually I don’t believe that to be true, even for VFR.

The requirement for that is actually in Part 91 where 91.153 paragraph 8 reads “(8) The number of persons in the aircraft, except where that information is otherwise readily available to the FAA.”

The airline certainly has that info and it’s readily available to the FAA.

(Yes, I used to be one of those guys that filled out all that paperwork, handed it the captain and then saluted to signify “your airplane”.)

“That’s Hot!” Sorry…someone had to fill in for Paris. :laughing: