HOWTO: Airspy mini and Airspy R2: Piaware / dump1090-fa configuration

Hey Jon… how is the big apple??? Yes, it is the airspy incorporation that is the trick from memory. I just wish I had a back up of that card… There will be one of those with this new card… Just about to get stage one finished, shan’t be long.

1 Like

Ok working FA card on a Rasbery PI 3+. Now refresh my memory for what I have to do to get that card to boot up in the Odroid XU4???

Odroids don’t use Rasbpian.

You’ll have to get an sd-card image for the Odroid XU4.
(https://odroid.in/ubuntu_18.04lts/XU3_XU4_MC1_HC1_HC2/ubuntu-18.04.1-4.14-mate-odroid-xu4-20181203.img.xz)

Use Etcher to put it onto the sd-card:
balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives

The first boot will take up to 5 minutes!
(sd-card image somewhere from https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/gettingstart/linux/install_linux)

Then you just follow these steps to install dump1090-fa and piaware:
PiAware - dump1090 ADS-B integration with FlightAware - FlightAware

When that is done you can use the script linked in the first post of this thread.
It will install airspy_adsb and configure dump1090-fa so it works by waiting for messages from the airspy instead of searching for a dongle of its own.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply. My switch went down so been off line for a couple of hours. I will give this ago. So do you advise using the auto install or the manual config?? Now you suggest using the FA setup, given that, would it also work using the ADS B project set up then using your scripts up the tops???

The manual configuration is mainly provided for people who don’t trust the script or want to know how it is configured.

Most people just use the script, it works nicely.

And at the end, I take it by just rebooting the odroid, will start the ads b program. This Odroid may be going up on the mast, so not easily accessible.

You’ll have to test that it works anyway.
Having access via putty is also very helpful in such situations to adjust gain for example.

But yes it will start automatically.

In regards to putty, you can follow part B of this how-to:
For Beginners - How-to SSH to RPi - Setup Putty in Windows

You should change the password of the default user (not sure about the default user on your image).
Then you might also need to enable ssh

sudo systemctl enable ssh
sudo systemctl start ssh

Well success!!! Went the FA method, as you have described and working well. Even got the graphs set up. Will let it run over night and if all still good, in the morning, will transfer it up onto the mast tomorrow. Great program and thanks for the tips. :smile:

Now I thought about setting up using ADS B project scripts, but went with this dump 1090-fa configuration. Still curious though, given as to how this is set up. Would the ADS B project scripts work or would they get caught up when you used the final stage configuration script at the top of this post (btw, I used the auto one, worked a treat.

The airspy-conf doesn’t care how dump1090-fa was installed as long as it has the normal config file.
Which it does with the receiver scripts.
I personally just don’t like the receiver scripts and for the XU4 you can just use the normal packages.
(No need to compile them yourself)

Which LNA are you using?

And as i remarked, setting up ssh access for a mast installation is a good idea.

SSH set up and working. I am using an ADS-B ceramic filtered pre amp.

1 Like

If you want to add other feeders via script, at what stage do you do that. Guess by me, before you use the last script, at the top of this post… ??

Just don’t.

Feeders are simple to install, just like dump1090-fa and piaware.

So not to add any feeders at all??

I read that as “add other feeders using the adsb receiver project script”.
Which is most likely no problem but i don’t see a reason for using that script.

Feeder installations shouldn’t touch dump1090-fa.
As long as they don’t mess with that, they won’t interfere with airspy either.

No… sorry, wouldn’t even try to use ADS B script with this. No like ADSB Exchange for mlat sharing, opensky netword etc

That’s just a feeder installation then.

As long as you don’t chose DVB-T when installing fr24feed, nothing bad should happen as they all expect Beast data on 30005 which is present.

Yep :+1: thanks for that

so back to the original question, install script as per your instructions above, then using the last scriprt from the top then feeder installation if and as required??

Already answered.

Just like with any other dump1090-fa installation.
It doesn’t matter when as long as they don’t install dump1090 or do anything crazy.