Help with cabling

Hoping someone can help figure out a couple of things for me. I’ve bought the FlightAware antenna Amazon.com

The first is determining if my existing cable can be used. I bought it years ago for an LTE antenna that I put up. I believe that it’s rated at 50 ohms, but I can’t be certain as there are no markings. I know that’s limited info, but thought maybe the fact I was using it for LTE may be enough for someone to provide an answer.

Second, is what pigtail do I need for my RTL2838 USB dongle to attach it to the cable. The one I used to connect the cable to the MiFi is model PCCAB-727,
https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/adapter-cable-for-verizon-wireless-um175-usb-and-usb727-modems/

Thanks

Image below shows the most commonly used arrangement. It shows Coax LMR400, but LMR240 and other types of coax can also be used successfully.

This image is very tall (1950 pixel).
If your browser does not show full size image, then click on the image to see larger size
First click enlarges image moderately.
Second click enlarges image to full size

1 Like

Thanks for that. I did discover that the cable is RG-58 with the N-Male connector for the antenna connection. Still trying to figure out what I need on the other end though. After more digging I believe this is what I would need.
https://www.amazon.com/Right-assembly-adapter-Quality-Shipping/dp/B01CWJ5G28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520696608&sr=8-1&keywords=mcx+fme%2Fmale

I’m not 100% though. Are you able to determine if that’s correct?
Thanks!

I tried it with 75 ohm but 50 ohm is better…

N-Male connector at antenna end is OK as it will fit Flightaware antenna.

The pigtail cable RG316 15cm / 6inch is OK.
The pigtail connectors depend on following:

1. What connector you have on the other end of RG58? Is it FME female?

2. What connector you have on the Dongle? Is it MCX-female?

If you have generic DVB-T dongle, the connector on dongle is MCX-female, so the pigtail cable should have MCX-male

If you have FA Pro Stick, the connector on dongle is SMA-female, so the pigtail cable should have SMA-male.

for the antenna I prefer to use the cable 10D-FB, or 8D-FB, is less loss of signal level. But because of the thickness will have to cut into n-type connectors and use an adapter n-type-sma.