Help with broken ADS-B after addition of UAT978

It looks like that did it. It didn’t come back right away, the first dump978-fa status was still not connected, but after a reboot, it came up for a few seconds, I captured data from a flight, then it lost connection again. Then after a few seconds and another reboot it came back and has stayed up. Thanks everyone for all the help!

That’s usually voltage issues.
Get a Rpi Official power supply, try a different USB extension if you use one.

That’s what I was thinking, I just ordered one thanks.

In this particular case it’s actually soapysdr (or the rtlsdr soapy module in particular) being bad at error reporting - if librtlsdr fails to open the device, no error is reported to dump978-fa, which then proceeds to try to receive samples. Unsurprisingly, since the device couldn’t be opened, no samples ever arrive…

edit: looks like the error reporting has been fixed upstream recently but it’ll be a while before that makes it into Debian…

@fminton
In view of @obj clarification, continue with current power supply, and watch for few days. If the problem reccures, only then replace it with new power supply.

I’ll watch it, it ran all day and I received positions with only a small mobile antenna lying horizontal in the attic. I have a 978 base station antenna ordered. It should work nicely, we have a school of aviation at our local college, and today I seen that 3 of the 6 flights up were on 978. I also have 3 smaller airports nearby that have GA flights that I hear regularly on unicom frequencies that I never see on the 1090 feed. Looking forward to seeing those in the future. Again thanks for the help everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.