Halting PiAware briefly to configure fan operation

I’m new to this adventure, but I have a working until with a Flight Aware receiver operating with a Raspberry pi 4 Model B 4Gb. It’s all working - indeed beyond my expectations. I’ve purchased an in case fan to keep the little box cool in the Australian summer, however it runs all the time. I’d like to invoke the configuration menu to set the fan operating para to 80c as set out in various publications. I can do this on the standard GUI on a ‘standard’ Rasberry pi. But with the dedicated PiAware unit, the system boots straight into the Pi Aware program and leaves me with a page of information when I boot without the receiver plugged in.

Any information on the simplest way of setting this up would be very much appreciated thanks. Caution: Linux is not my native language …

Regards,
Terry

You can get a console login on the PiAware sdcard image by pressing Alt-F2 (user pi / password flightaware)

Or you can enable ssh, then connect over the network - see PiAware - build your own ADS-B ground station for integration with FlightAware - Optional Steps - FlightAware

Once you’ve followed the instructions from obj and you’re in your terminal, run

sudo raspi-config

Then go to Performance Options > Fan and set the GPIO pin and temperature, same as in the GUI version. I actually added a small fan to mine last week, since we had some lovely weather in the UK and it was getting quite warm next to the window. It brought the temperature down by 15C.

Thank you both - I’ll venture into that new area when I get the time (and courage), and I’ll report back with the outcomes. Very much appreciate your input.

Success! Thank you both again. I was unsuccessful with ssh - port 22 complications stood in the way. However a console login was co-operative, and from there following your instructions proved easy, and the indications are that it’s all working again. Next weekend is forecast to bring some warmer weather again so it will be interesting to see just when the fan cuts in.

This is fun; I’ll see what else I can discover when I get the time.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Terry

Nice one. The fan will come on when the temperature hits your target temperature, and it will go off when the temperature drops 10C below that. For anyone interested, the setting from raspi-config is stored in /boot/config.txt (hence why a reboot is needed after setting):

dtoverlay=gpio-fan,gpiopin=14,temp=60000

Sadly the UK heatwave has ended but the cooler weather means the fan has stayed off… not sure it will see 60C until next year now :slight_smile:

1 Like