Great day in CMH/LCK

What a day in Columbus Ohio today was (1-6-07) It started out with an L1011 and a DC-10 and then many chartered aircraft not usually seen here anymore such as a trio of Delta 752 and a 753 from ATA as well as numerous 722 and 734 from a variety of airline charters. Now many of these may not seem like a big deal, but CMH is now a land of the RJ’s and a smattering of B737’s and A320’s plus a couple MD-80’s. Its been a lean few years for the plane watching and the airport police keep anyone from trying to stop and watch.

Late afternoon I heard a thunderous rumble above the skies in southern Delaware county and caught a glimpse of a Giant Antonov 124 heading into KLCK (ADB 738F) from Boeing Field.

A great day indeed thanks to the 20,000 folks heading to Phoenix Sky Harbor to follow the Ohio State Buckeyes. Lets hope Sunday promises to be just as good!

Actually, 6 757s on that route in the last couple days:

AMT6971 | B753
 AMT6973 | B753
 AMT6977 | B753
 DAL9695 | B752
 DAL9697 | B752
 OAE202  | B752

Yep- all charters or specials(DAL) for the Bucks. except for the ATL-CMH route was switched to the B752 for some reason today.

Yeah, I was there this morning to see the DC-10 come in to land and saw the 727s take off. The highlight was definitely the L1011 since I had just missed it the other day at Rickenbacker. I wish I knew an antonov was coming in. That would have been a sight to see. With all the trijets at CMH today it was like a blast from the past…especially seeing the PanAm 727 used as a charter.

Not to rain on your parade, but I’m kinda proud of the 2 f-16’s and the b734 that came into KSLN today. That kind of stuff doesn’t come in very often.

OSU fans travel well, and they spend $$ along the way. That’s why the Fiesta Bowl had no problems inviting them last year for the third time in four years, when all the sports pundits had them going to the Orange Bowl to “mix it up” a little bit. This year, of course, the team itself decided where they are headed.

In late '02 (just before the BCS Championship game against Miami) United chartered a 772 (for fans) to PHX. Any idea if there were any widebody charters this year? **

[quote=“planeaholic”]

In late '02 (just before the BCS Championship game against Miami) United chartered a 772 (for fans) to PHX. Any idea if there were any widebody charters this year? *

Well I’m pretty sure they both went to PHX from CMH. I don’t have the flight numbers, but the L1011 was an ATA flight. I knew the DC-10 was coming as I had friends going out on it.[/quote]

Was the L-1011 flying into KCMH or KLCK? I ask because there was a similar discussion regarding an ATA military chartered L-1011 flying into Rickenbacker earlier in the week. Could the DC-10 have been NWA? They’re about the only US passenger airline that I know of that still flies these classics, until ATA buys them when NW ceases it’s DC-10 operations. Perhaps it’s another ATA flight? I’m not sure if they use the DCs yet or not, but that’s their plan once they retire the Lockheeds.

–I know, it’s a big game of musical chairs [with wings]. :wink:

Was the L-1011 flying into KCMH or KLCK? I ask because there was a similar discussion regarding an ATA military chartered L-1011 flying into Rickenbacker earlier in the week. Could the DC-10 have been NWA? They’re about the only US passenger airline that I know of that still flies these classics, until ATA buys them when NW ceases it’s DC-10 operations. Perhaps it’s another ATA flight? I’m not sure if they use the DCs yet or not, but that’s their plan once they retire the Lockheeds.

–I know, it’s a big game of musical chairs [with wings]. :wink:

I saw that discussion on the L1011 earlier in the week. Both the L1011 and DC-10 were into CMH. The L1011 was ATA and the DC-10 was OAE (Omni Air Express). I am a great fan of both these tri-jets and have done extensive flying on both in the past. I think the last time I took a DC-10 was 1986 on Continental to Auckland NZ. Last time on a L1011 was to Honolulu in '95. I miss them both and really wanted to try and get on a NWA flight before they disapear into Charter service only which is definately NOT the same. I flew from Gatwick to ATL last year on the B772 with Delta and its just not the same. I’m not really able to put my finger on it but there was something about the older widebodies that appealed to me.
What really bugs me is how CMH has turned into such a rj dominated airport other than SWA(B73X), DAL(B73X,MD80), NWA(DC-9,A319/20), AWE(A320), UAL(B73X), and USA(B73X) are about the only planes coming in now other than the regional jets. Its sad to think 5 years ago the mix was so much nicer. Its pretty sad when a B757 coming in is a “big” plane. I don’t get to LCK much although I see the B741/2’s coming in from PANC most of the time right over my home and that is ALWAYS a thrill. The A-124 was great and I’m going to try and get there in the morning to see if I can snap a pic or 2 before it departs.

Yeah my father is in the air right now en route to Phoenix for the game. My uncle got them tickets and I probably would have been able to go if I didn’t have exams this week…

Welcome to just about ANY non-hub airport outside of NYC or L.A. We had another discussion here about the recent domination of RJs, and how they’ve changed the way we’ve travel. I live just south of KCLE, which is dominated by BTA RJs, even though it technically IS a hub for Continental. I’ve often said that I miss the days of the 727s, the DC-10s, and the quads. Any more (unless you’re in a major international port), it’s CRJs, ERJs, and a few 737s mixed in, with the occasional 757. Unless fuel costs come down( :laughing: ), I don’t expect that the big boys will ever dominate the skies like they did in the '60s through the '80s. :cry:

GO FLORIDA GATORS Oh Ohio better get use to this kid VERY FAST otherwise it’s over.

You think HE was the best QB this year :question::shock: On a team that could not decide WHICH QB to use? :unamused: All we’ve heard about is the speed of the SEC. OSU has a couple guys that are fast I think.:laughing: I look forward to the contest (and all the planes that will bring the fans home).

[quote=“spdmonkey”]

I know that he is no Smith but he has some tricks up his wristband don’t worry. As long as they don’t pull a Romo I will be happy. Thats right i’m a Dallas Cowboy’s fan, and I don’t have a remote anymore after what happen Saturday night. SO WHO HAS SOMETHING TO SAY TO ME BEING A COWBOY’S FAN??? :blush:

Certainly not me on that one. I too am a Cowboys fan. I figure Romo had some big gambling debts to pay off.

The problem was his new girlfriend, ever scense he got her he has lost all his games and he doesn’t warmup before the game, instead he sits and talks with his girl. But I feel really bad for him. I almost lost our homecoming game by a fumble snap to me in the endzone almost causeing a safty but the D held them and we won. It’s nice having an All American on your team. SERIOUS he is and it’s crazy.

For all you OHIO fans out there it’s 27-14!!! FLORIDA

I bet OHIO will win and this will come back and bite me in the A$$ :smiley:

Was the L-1011 flying into KCMH or KLCK? I ask because there was a similar discussion regarding an ATA military chartered L-1011 flying into Rickenbacker earlier in the week.

ATA L1011’s were in both CMH and LCK last week.

Could the DC-10 have been NWA? They’re about the only US passenger airline that I know of that still flies these classics, until ATA buys them when NW ceases it’s DC-10 operations. Perhaps it’s another ATA flight? I’m not sure if they use the DCs yet or not, but that’s their plan once they retire the Lockheeds.

ATA’s DC-10’s are not in the active fleet yet. They are being ferried down to San Antonio by Northwest, then in San Antonio will get heavy checked and refitted for ATA, and then sent up to headquarters in Indianapolis. None are out of San Antonio yet though and won’t be running charters until early summer.