Getting the best results!

I’ve never actively looked at how much data it’s using at home before. The MTG site has always been a bit tricky because it is on limited bandwidth (and the connection speed has been dog awful for the last few weeks) but no, no limitations at home.

1 Like

Neither for me. I just have noticed it.

I agree, my 200 gbps internet utilization is never above 50%. I have 6 rpi’s, 8 pc’s, 2 TV’s and 3 lines of VOIP in constant use by my family.

That’s why I banned IP’s from a list of selected countries to access my Linux box.

@wiedehopf
@SoNic67
@keithma

How to check if it is being scraped?

I have not opened any ports. However my internet provider’s modem has a specific port kept open by default for user to setup / access the router from anywhere in the world through web browser on a PC or an App on phone.

I tried to close that port, but there is no provision in modem settings to close it by user.

If you don’t have a port open to your Pi then it’s never going to happen.

It’s very clear from my graph that a lot of data was being scraped direct from me, people just grabbing the aircraft.json file.

I added the following to the end of my /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf file

# deny access to /aircraft.json in tar1090/data
$HTTP["url"] =~ "^/tar1090/data/" {
     url.access-deny = ("aircraft.json")
}

Then restarted lighttpd

sudo systemctl restart lighttpd

It doesn’t stop people loading my map remotely, it just stops people grabbing the json file by itself.

Upload bandwidth today was 11Gb compared to 20Gb yesterday. It’ll be interesting to see what it does tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m not clear on the “scraping” issue. My Pi connects to my Wifi router (192.168.1.x LAN), which faces my ISP modem (192.168.0.x - inside modem, outside Wifi), and then the modem shows the outside world whatever IPv4/6 my ISP gives it. I was under the impression that there’s no way for someone outside my house to access the specific IP’s inside my house without some sort of “NAT” action from the router or modem. How would they know how to reach it (obviously(?) someone trying to access ‘192.168.1.26’ from some other computer isn’t going to resolve). If they got a hold of my modem’s external address, can they then force their way past it to the RPi without the Pi having initiated the request?

Perhaps another question (or another aspect of the same question?) is “how and why would I have a port open to my Pi?” I presume (?) I would need to manually create that - and since I haven’t, I presume (hope?) my above logic is correct and sound. But since other posters on the thread evidently do have their Pi “public” (and getting scraped), why did they do that - what was the purpose/point?

That is a bit concerning.

If they can brute force the password they can then reconfigure your router to allow access to any host on your network.

If the router manufacturer has left a port open they may have also hard coded a master password making it even easier to gain access.

S.

Without access from outside, there is no way of scraping possible. keithma does have his site exposed, therefore people can use utilities to get the data automatically.

Mine is closed as well, for remote access i am using Zerotier network

2 Likes

Yup so that people can view the traffic and graphs, what I’m not keen on is someone using the backdoor to continually grab just the aircraft data. It certainly looks a lot better now.

2 Likes

That’s why i did not expose the web interface of the Airsquitter. The list is available also via JSON with lots of information and i don’t need to share this with others i don’t know.

The short answer is “No”.

The optimum gain setting depends on your hardware, location, and environment.

I adjusted gain by trial-and-error method.

PI #1

Pi #2

Pi #3

1 Like

As the percentage of "Messages > -3dBFS" were very high (9.0,14.9 & 13.5 %), I have now reduced gain.

Will check again tomorrow to see if revised settings are OK, or I need to reduce/increase gain.

Pi ORIGINAL GAIN SETTING CURRENT REDUCED GAIN SETTING
Pi #1 image 1
Pi #2 image image
Pi #3 image image

1 Like

@nglass171

Yesterday I manually tweaked the gain to reduce %age of Messages > -3 dBFS
After 24 hrs, today I checked the %age of Messages > -3 dBFS , and it is reduced considerably.
However as it is still higher than my target 5%, I have now tweaked gain again, Will check after 24 hrs to see the results.

2 Likes

Are you also seeing a tradeoff in relation to range ? Lowering the gain and as a result a lesser range ? I’m just wondering.

If your ambient noise is low, couldn’t you opt for a greater signal strength, adaptive dynamic range notwithstanding?

Here is my performance:

Range remains the same, signal level drops with adaptive dynamic range enabled (red arrow shows adr disabled), and my noise level drops considerably in the disabled mode. Certainly understand noise drops with signal level.

I don’t have a ton of noise around me.

range2

correction* “my noise level drops considerably in the adr enabled mode.”

I was using these kind of tests in the past whenever i was using the FA stick.
The range did not change, independent from the gain setting (as long as i did not go really low with the value)

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I will up my gain as only on 28 and I’m getting less than 2% messages less than 3db during the busy part of the day