garrett vs pt6

the direct drive gearbox of the TPE331 is simpler than the reduction gearbox of a PT6A from a mechanical basis but it seems more mechanics know how to fix the PW engine tho

a good friend of mine went to PIA (Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics) and their MTC program details the PT6, piston, and turbofans engine but fails to train how to fix the Garrett

I was a mechanic in the military and we maintained the Allison T-56-A15s…that was a pain when those died on you…4350shp 750lbs thrust

talk about LOUD

:wink: Hello, I am thinking of getting an airplane that has a TFE331-6, I don’t know what the yearly cost for an annual, I know about the 5000 TBO, and I think it burns less the 40 gals an hour. Any info or suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is not for business use so I need to stay on the low end of expense. Thanks in advance. Anything at all would be helpful,

Woor

Agree! Garretts’ are great motors, the power you can get out of them is crazy good! but the pilot has to know what he’s doing which will keep some hot section cost down and def need a mechanic that knows these motors! Agree 100% on the PT6 statement

Based on an earlier post of the cost of overhaul, the Garrett is still lees per hour at overhaul. PT-6 cost $50/hr at overhaul and the Garrett is $44/hr. You just have to plan for it since $44x5000hrs is more than $50x3600hrs. I hope that makes sense.