FRA to YUL

Hi,

I will be flying on AC875 from Frankfurt to Montreal on Monday and was wondering if anyone has a map of the route. Is suppose it varies but anything more exact than a straight line will do;)

Even on their 777s AC hasn`t managed to get the live maps working. I do hope their pilots are better than the guys that made that entertainement system :smiling_imp:

Im planing on taking some pictures but I want to be able to estimate when something interesting shows up (I saw coast line of greenland once) so I dont have to keep looking out of the window in order not to miss something. I finally got a 70-300mm lens so this time Im hoping for some in-flight pictures of passing aircraft (my point and shoot cam I had last year sadly couldnt zoom enough for a passing Lufhthansa 744 - so I had to buy a DSLR :wink: )

Would be great if someone could upload something. Any AC pilots out there?

gc.kls2.com/

The route varies each day. See North Atlantic Track System for more information. At the end of the article are links to the current routes.

You want to mark time windows when you should be looking outside with your camera on. You can get a pretty good idea of your along track position vs. time, but because of route variations, you won’t know what to expect for your lateral position.

So you can estimate when you’ll cross the Channel, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, and into Canada, and it’ll be right within a few minutes. When you get there, take photos, then come to FA and get your flight’s route info to try to back out where the photos were taken, based on their time stamps. Alternately, just study Google Earth and try to find places that correlate to what you saw.

Realistically, I think you’ll just be marking the times when it’s NOT worth looking, i.e. before and after Iceland. And in my limited experience, there were lots of clouds, and there’s no way to predict when those will start and stop along your route. Basically, if you’re eager to get photos, just keep the camera on your lap and your eyes out the window.

Thank you for the replies. The link damiross posted gets me this:
https://www.notams.jcs.mil/common/nat.html

I guess those are Waypoints but how can I look them up on a map? Can anyone explain to me how to use them?

They are latitude and longitude fixes. The best way to get them is to use a GPS. Most airlines allow their use in flight.

Stupid Air Canada rebooked me because of an overbooked flight and now I possibly lost my window seat. AC sucks :imp: They have horrible customer service.

Didn’t we discuss that on another thread, and conclude that mostly they don’t allow GPS? Certainly you’d have to ask first and get a clear answer before you try to debate the flight crew.

It’s been discussed.

It all depends on the airline. Southwest and most, if not all, of the legacy carries allow GPS units.

Alitalia swears the engines will drop off if you use a GPS.

That would be a DVD player and the engines only shut off.