Flying USAIR from Phx to LHR

hello. This is my first post. This website is cool and I’ve ad a lot of fun tracking flights, mainly the ones I am going to take next month on my trip. I am flying USAIR from Phx going through PHL. I have read nothing but bad things about USAIR international flights but the fare I got was really good (just under $800) so I bit. The flight from PHL to LHR is a 767. I am regretting not paying more and going on BA.

I am REALLY scared of flying and freak out at the thought of flying over water. This whole thing with Air France scares me too. Can someone calm my nerves? I am not so worried about the Phx-Phl leg but the phl-lhr flight. Has anyone flown PHL to LGW or LHR? I keep reading that USAIR fleet is old and worn, I just want a safe flight. What are the chances Sully will be the pilot lol.

Thank you.

OK…I’ll be first!! First welcome to F/A!!! Hope you find your time here enlightening and entertaining!!

As for your fears, they to me a person who a. Is in the industry, and grew up around it. and b. Love to fly, I’d say it understandable that you’d have some angst with all that is going on with the tragic event with the AF flight. That said, NO FEAR!! As has been said in these forums and in government statistics (which I am to lazy to go find and post here) driving to the airport is more dangerous then hopping on an aircraft and going somewhere. Everyone here in these forums would agree, from the people checking you in, to loading your bags, working on the aircraft as a mechanic, flying the plane and serving you during the flight… take pride in their job, and they to want to see safe travels on their aircraft. It is in everyones best interest to get you from point a to b safe. I’m sure others will say the same, in the mean time safe journey!! Let us know how it all goes!!

Welcome to the forums!

Hope this little tidbit eases that fear: of all the airline disasters you’ve heard about, how many of them have occurred over the ocean, and how many have happened on dry land…? The worst thing about flying over water is that there’s nothing to look at outside.

In the U.S. alone, roughly 20,000 people have died in automobile accidents so far in 2009. How many have died in airline crashes?

Be very careful on your way to the airport, and as you walk from your vehicle to the airport terminal - and enjoy your flights!

first post here… I understand Oliviasmom and her fears. It’s easy to dismiss and say that you are more likely to get killed in a car crash, etc, but like all statistics, you can make the numbers say what you want. If you NEVER fly, you will not have any chance of being killed in a plane crash, so as a sometimes nervous flier, those words don’t make a person feel better. Just as I don’t sky dive, I have a zero percent chance of dying while doing that activity.

To ease my anxieties, I always tell myself, that there a thousands of flights every day, and that the pilot and flight crew don’t want to die, so they are going to be on the look out for problems or issues. I also don’t mind weather delays, better safe than sorry. Now, when they have a mechanical delay, I am happy that they are fixing the problem, but then I hope they really fixed it well!

The flying over water, well it’s boring. I fly to Japan (NRT) every 3 months and it’s long and over water and over empty parts of Canada and Alaska, I worry more about that. I find it better to just shut your window and watch a movie or bring a puzzle book, or better yet nap if you can.

For me, it comes down to this, I just have belief that your destiny is what it is and if that means a plane crash well so be it. I would hate to have not seen the world and been stuck on the ground being bored. It’s truly amazing that you can be thousands of feet up in the air flying around this amazing planet and getting to see new people, places and actually being a part of the world! It’s cool planet and sometimes you gotta fly to see it! So I take a deep breath, get on the plane and dream…

Trish :slight_smile:

Well said!! Welcome to FA!! I hope I did not come across as dismissive. I was trying to say everything is going to be fine 8) Safe travels to you as well!!

no, no, you weren’t dismissive. As I am a sometimes anxious flier, I just know the whole statistics angle doesn’t work for me! I always think that heck, I ain’t gonna get eaten by sharks while surfing, so those odds aren’t real for me…then when I started traveling, I read all the statistics on flying and deduced, that heck if I don’t fly, my chances are zero! I guess I over think! I now, just tell my self that I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles, and have only had 2 scary flights, and despite that, I am here safe and sound. Honestly, what really did take my worries away more, is the fact that the air crew have families and they don’t wanna die, they wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t think it was safe! :slight_smile: I really appreciate though when the captain lets you know what’s going on, especially when they warn you off really big turbulence coming up! I know they are prepared, and that makes me feel so much better!

The only advantage BA has is a non-stop flight to LHR from PHX.
OH, and your wallet will be lighter.

John in Saudi

Zero.
He is not certified on this type of aircraft.
The A320 is the largest he flies according to his FAA license.

However I think you should not fear at all. Even if their fleet is old, it does not necessarily mean safety issues. Age is not important if proper maintenance procedures are in place. If you were flying “Delta”, there is a possibility that one of their DC-9s could be older than you are! Some of those aircraft are 40+ Years old and still flying regular routes every day.

Second, the statistics do prove a point that your safety is not at risk. The US airways crash earlier this year was not due to a preventable mechanical issue, nor was the Air France crash you reference based on a maintenance issue either. These were natural issues encountered by the airplane. Face it, humans aren’t supposed to be shooting through the sky in metal tubes. Birds and thunderstorms existed up there before we ever did. We hardly ever have problems with them, but when it happens, it happens. Again, the odds are low.
Since the Air France crash is cited as being the worst in 8 years, thats hundreds of millions of aviation operations that have not been impacted at all, and a minor few that have.

The aircraft you will be flying on will be flown by qualified mainline pilots, not slightly above minimum wage commuter pilots who have failed their checkride 5+ times.

I think your fear is rational, but unnecessary. As someone who has grown up around aviation, I am never afraid, and there is really nothing to fear.

Thank you for the reassurance. I am trying not to obsess over this and I really want to enjoy my trip. I am flying with a friend out of PHL and she flies all the time and travels a lot so she’ll make me feel better. Any comments on USAIR in general to Europe? I read reviews and about 90% are bad. The most important thing is that I get on the ground safely. I do not care if their food is bad, or if the seats are a tad cramped or uncomfy. I plan on taking a Xanax and watching movies on my laptop and not worry about the jet crashing.

I read bad reviews about every airline. You can’t please everyone. I’ve noticed many bad reviews are really caused by the traveler “issues” and not the airline. You aren’t worried about the food or cramped quarters, so you are already bound to have a better experience. Get to the airport early, follow the rules, don’t expect too much, don’t bring lots of carry on, and you’ll be fine. :slight_smile: I find flying less upsetting, when I am prepared, on time, and not rushing about and not having to drag a suitcase around! It makes the whole process less stressing, and you will be less anxious! Have a great flight and trip!

also, if you’re leaving on the 11:55 AM flight to PHL and then the 10:40 PM flight to London, you’re flying a 757 and 767 - both two very safe aircraft that were built in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

In the US, older aircraft actually tend to be a bit safer than newer aircraft as any design flaws have been identified and corrected.

Welcome to FA…

I recently flew to CDG from PHL aboard Air France.

You will be quite safe, I’ve actually flown to Hawaii twice too which is much much more remote that flying to Europe from the East Coast…

A wise Southwest pilot, when flying into Reno (always bumpy in this area) a few years, said over the PA that there would be some turbulence and not to worry about it. Just think of it has driving over a rough road.

Just think of it like that, Oliviasmom. I do. As much as I like flying, I do not like turbulence. It has helped me quite a bit when it gets bumpy.

Well, in reference to the bad reviews. It’s just like any other BUSINESS. Notice business is capitalized. People are more likely to write complaint letters than compliments. It’s just the nature of the business. Sure, some airlines make mistakes but just keep your cool throughout your entire trip and all the airline agents you talk with will try to help you to the best of their abilities. US Airways is usually the lowest in customer service (J.D. Power) but every experience is probably different. No two trips are the same no matter how much we try to keep everything the same.

DITTO, once you’re at the airport, you’ve got the hard part done!

Actually, the risk is a lot higher in London than in PHX or PHL – when you cross the street, you’ll still be looking for cars coming from your left, whereas in GB they’ll come from your right! (And don’t drive a car if you don’t have to. You’ll make mistakes, potentially serious, but you’ll get away with it most of the time.)

nenyedi said it pretty well. Your fears are rooted in genuine risks, but you’re overestimating the likelihood. You don’t get an accurate feel for the likelihood of an injury or fatal accident by reading the news. Flying is much safer than driving and climbing ladders and stuff. The main reason you become fearful is that when something does go wrong and you even notice the story, it’s a big splash in the news for a long time, because somebody died and the photos are dramatic. “If it bleeds, it leads.”

So plan for the best. Take along an English-English dictionary so you can pick up the language. :wink: Learn a new system of bills and coins, not used anywhere else. Figure out which of your appliances will catch fire when plugged into 240 V. Consult your cell phone company re: whether your phone will work there. (It’s probably expensive to use it, but when you’re tired or in a pinch, it’s a relief to have it.)

Hell I just had a brain storm, you really want to take it a few steps before the actual flight. TONS of people get hurt in the bathroom i.e. slip and fall…so don’t shower that day and walk to the airport and you should be just fine :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

Don’t step on the cracks like Monk :stuck_out_tongue:

Never watched it…but I’ll go with ya on that one lol :wink:

And don’t forget your sanitizers… :open_mouth:

In the 3 oz. or less size of course. :wink: