Flying CJ3 into Cusco, Peru

I am interested in flying my CJ3 into Cusco, Peru (SPZO). The elevation is 10,860’ and there is a 11,146’ runway. Has anyone flown a Citation in there?

What do the numbers say? With the mountains, whatever the numbers say plan on going out very light and flying downhill for fuel.

I’m with John, I’ve flown out of Cochabamba, SLCB (8,360msl) with a full tanks and 25c in a LJ35, used all of the runway taking off.
Look at you’re numbers and go from there.

sounds like it may be a one way trip! :unamused:

One big problem. The CJ3 has a limitation for Takeoff and Landing Limitation of 10,000’ ft. Look at page 2-13 of the AFM, or thereabouts.
I was also thinking of tire speed concerns, but that’s kind of a moot point.

Some manufacturers will sell you a high altitude “kit” that usually is nothing more than a 6 page supplement. Does Cessna have one for the CJ?
If not then he is out of luck. legally.

FYI: http://contractpilot.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/its-going-to-be-another-long-day-at-the-office/
OCTOBER 14, 2011
Next month he’s scheduled to deliver a couple of airplanes from the US to Peru. He’ll be picking up a Cessna 172 and a Cessna 182 for the ferry flight to Peru.

Here’s his planned route of flight to Peru in the Cessna 172SP:

Thanks for posting the link to my blog.

I see business jets here in Cuzco (SPZO) regularly, mostly larger types but I believe I’ve seen Citations in here as well. I’m not rated in Citations and can’t speak for any AFM limitations (many airplanes do have a blanket limitation on takeoff above a certain altitude), but here are a few suggestions or info for anyone flying into Cuzco:

1. The most important thing is to be sharp on your airmanship. With winds and turbulence the approach can be a bit of work. LAN (which has a dozen or so daily A319 flights to SPZO) has a policy that only the Captain is allowed to be the flying pilot when landing in Cuzco. Copilots are prohibited from being the flying pilot in Cuzco.

2. Cuzco is one-way in, one-way out (except maybe in a Twin Otter or Caravan). You land RY28 and takeoff RY10. During the windy months of the year (August more than any) you may be delayed because of this restriction. The runway slope works in your favor (landing uphill, takeoff downhill).

3. The approach to SPZO RY28 / departure out of RY10 is clear (in fact, the terrain slopes down beyond the runway) but there is rising terrain on all other sides of the airport.

4. The instrument approaches to Cuzco basically just put you on top of the airport for a visual landing. LAN has recently developed a proprietary GNSS approach but for the rest of us if you fly to Cuzco during rainseason (roughly Dec-April) you may be delayed because the approaches have high minimums. Rainseason here is not bad though.

Due to the traffic between Lima-Cuzco nowadays and the one-way in, one-way out runway in Cuzco you can be delayed on the ground in Cuzco and Lima alike for departure clearance. Coming out of Cuzco you would obviously want to be as light as possible but both Lima and Pisco are only about 1-hr away so you can go light on fuel.

Finally, be warned… I came to Cuzco 4 years ago with the intention of staying a year or two but so far haven’t left and don’t plan on it any more :slight_smile:

Welcome to FB and thanks for the info Ward.