Is it possible to view flight tracks for ADS-B equipped General Aviation Aircraft after the flight has been completed? How long is this data retained? How does one find the flight tracks?
It is saved forever. Are you talking about VFR or IFR? What’s the tail number(s)?
VFR. N541MN. The aircraft is ADS-B OUT equipped (1090ES). I flew from KMLB to KAPF yesterday (3/24/16). I can’t find any trace of the flight on FlightAware.
It worked, but we currently only show position-only (no flight plan) flights to ADS-B feeders. You can either setup a PiAware which will give you access or wait until position-only is in production later this year.
We have recently released a feature to allow you to view position-only flights (flights without a flight plan) such as a VFR flight with flight following or ADS-B positions; follow these steps:
(You will need to be on the web version of FlightAware. These instructions will not work on the app or mobile site)
- Ensure you are either logged into your account or join FlightAware at the following link (flightaware.com/account/join/). You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
- Go to your account at the following link (flightaware.com/account/manage) or click on your name or username in the top left hand corner of the site.
- Look for a section titled “Position-Only Flights” and click the button for “show position-only flights”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Save”
- It could take up to 15 minutes for your account to be updated after you save; After this time, simply search for a tail number or flight from the search bar located at the top-center of the page.
Please contact us (flightaware.com/about/contact/) if you have any questions about position-only flights or have any trouble setting up your account.