Flight Plans from US-UK

Hi all, just a quick question…

Why is it that I can get some flight plans from the US to the UK but not others, despite searching the same airline’s flights?

For example, I’ve been able to get the fulll flight plan for VIR5 (EGLL-KMIA), VIR15 (EGKK-KMCO) VIR25 (EGLL-KJFK) but can’t get VIR01 (EGLL-KJFK) from Flightaware pages. Why is this? I’d love to be able to see the full flight plan from the UK-US.

Hope you can explain this to me.
Irv320

Welcome Irv! Glad you’re using FA. I was able to get Vir1 (“VIR1”). flightaware.com/live/fleet/VIR

Hey CessnaCitationX

Thanks for replying. I was able to view the page you posted. What I meant was that I was able to get the full flight plan for the flights listed from EGLL e.g.
VIR05 SAM UR8 GAPLI UM197 GUNSO UN486 OMOKO
4800N 01500W 4600N 02000W 4300N 03000W
4000N 04000W 3700N 05000W 3400N 06000W
LAZEY PRISS R514 HOLMA R514 SUMRS A699
PERMT OSOGY ENVOY YOSSI MILSY BOYUR
HILEY KAINS

However, when I looked up other flights, such as VIR01, I only got waypooints inside US airspace as seen in the route on the page you posted. Why can’t I get the full flight plan for all flights from the UK?

Irv320

Flightaware only uses FAA / NAV Canada tracking info. So for most flight to and from Europe or Asia, we only see reports within North American airspace.

For example, I have tracked many flights coming from Europe to N.A., I can see the flights icon on my local airport screen, but when I input the flight number into FlightAware, I may find a complete flight history, but I am also told that the flight arrived over XX hrs ago.

You will also notice origin of flight in track log is somewhere over the Atlantic.

So no full flightplan because flight is tracked only in N.A. airspace.

( early morning answer )

For flights inbound to the US, we usually receive an initial flight plan with the complete route, and when the flight enters US airspace we receive an amended flight plan with only the US (and sometimes Canada) portion of the flight.

I always get a good chuckle when an inbound European flight has the only waypoint as ALB, because I know they must have had more than just Albany as a waypoint. :slight_smile:

XTAFF is a common one. Especially when they file slant Whiskey (“/W”)! :laughing: