FLARM

Is there any support for FLARM at FlightAware ?
I know many gliders and small aircraft use it and it could be fun tracking them too

wiki.glidernet.org/about

From what I can read they use the APRS protocol with almost the same equipment as Ham Radio operators does except from the frequency
APRSC and Xastir are know software to me since I’m a Ham myself and online with Digi/IGate/Internet-Server for APRS in the Ham band

Joe is looking to see if it is possible to add it to his scripts.
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

Flarm seems to be mostly used in Europe. I don’t think it is used the the U.S., Canada or Australia.

It’s also all sorts of proprietary; the company behind it doesn’t like having anyone else in their playground. They’ve been through one protocol change so far to try to stop people decoding it (that worked for… about a day).

That said, there is a demodulator here: github.com/creaktive/flare

(I don’t have a suitable antenna on hand to try it; the signals are quite a bit weaker than ADS-B)

The underlying protocol is not APRS, that’s just how OGN exchanges the information after demodulation/decoding has happened.

I have been working on adding support for Open Glider Network’s client to the ADS-B Receiver Project after receiving a request to add it. I am about 90% or so done just need to add the option into the main install script and test it which will be hard being I am located in the US. I haven’t been given an answer nor have yet to find one as to if it will be possible to feed the data received by their client into dump1090 so the data can be forwarded to sites such as FlightAware which I find troubling… The “Open Glider Network” seems to have a lot of information in their wiki might just be a matter of picking through it to find an answer.

I’m very close to an “weekend glider airport” (ENHS) so if you need someone to test I have a free view to the airport,a Pi2, an R820T dongle and a antenna ready

WebSide, only in norwegian: drammenflyklubb.no/

If you do want to feed dump1090, a couple of notes:

• The simplest way will be to synthesize DF17 or DF18 messages, much like mlat-client and uat2esnt do. This is the wrong thing to do architecturally, but building a new protocol is always a pain.
  • IIRC, FLARM does not use ICAO addresses

If you do synthesize messages, please (a) use a well-known magic timestamp like mlat does (mlat uses 0xFF00 + “MLAT”, perhaps FLARM can use 0xFF + “FLARM”) so that clients can recognize it as FLARM and (b) use DF18 with the right CF/IMF settings that indicate a non-ICAO address, to help out clients that aren’t aware of the magic timestamp or for cases where the timestamp gets lost.

This is rather exciting. I am not too far from a glider club, it would be great to see what is moving silently overhead. :slight_smile:
I am not a programmer but if you need another person to test software then i also have a spare Raspberry PI and could throw together an antenna and dongle.
Google says FLARM is on 868Mhz, i will put together a spider antenna to test and if that works then later build a COCO.

I’d be up for it hardware wise. If software for a Raspberry were to emerge I’d happily put up something dedicated to test it.

Every day I listen to gliders on airband, I get 1-5 (or more on certain days like competitions) most days in the right weather. It may not sound much but they are they are there for hours at a time more often than not.

I am located in the middle of maybe 3 to 4 glider sites that I know of so far.

I have a spare rtl dongle, I can mount antennas with little problem.

I do hope this idea will gain some traction at FlightAware.

Hmmm, seems I’m not allowed a signature Oh well.

Are there some news? Second option: I want to add a second stick which can receive FLARM beside the first stick ADSB. Can somebody help me to configure out how that works or did somebody know an install instruction for that?