Fa-mlat-client

Folks,

I’ve got two PiAware devices running and am wondering if I can use fa-mlat-client to send data to adsbexchange? I know there are numerous scripts around but am reluctant to fiddle too much as both devices working fine. I am comfortable working with command line.

If this is possible would it be two instances of mlat running or just one sending same data to two different addresses?

Geoff

1 Like

MLAT data received from Flightaware is not to be fed to any other site. Is that what you are asking?

I feed to ADSBExchange as well, but only the data my receiver decodes off the air, not the MLAT.

2 Likes

That is probably what I meant then, do get a wee bit confused with the various messages and ports.

Never an issue until one looks to share.

Set up VRS rebroadcast server to feed adsbexchange but a forum message said they prefer to receive data direct rather than via VRS. Not quite so easy.

Geoff

for that you you have a few options, depending on your device / setup, following NOT for piaware SD image. adsbexchange use their own, independent mlat client
a. if using skymap / dump1090-fa, go to their site, download their image and install it.
b. if using mutability (Joe’s scripts) via one of the feeder menu options (easiest)

HTH
evangell

1 Like

It is easy.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git

cd adsb-receiver
./install.sh

You will be offered lot of options. Say NO to all, and accept only the option to install Adsb Exchane Data feeder.

I installed their FA 3.5.3 customized image.

There is no difficulty feeding from VRS either, other than keeping a PC on all the time. Just make sure you send the format they expect, compressed VRS, and don’t send the merged feed that includes the FA MLAT, if you have one.

If you do a lot of experimenting, staying with the FA image is the easiest and simplest way to re-image a card again and again.

Redistribution of FlightAware’s MLAT results is expressly not allowed. Please see:

3 Likes

I did clarify that in a subsequent post, just worded it wrongly, was merely refering to feeding data to another site. Just got confused with terminology.

Geffers.

1 Like

I just read your postings on ADS-B Exchange. I think I know what is causing the difficulties. If you are still planning to feed ADSB Exchange, let me know. I may be able to assist with the setup, both from the Pi or VRS.

As for the benefits of feeding sites, I guess it depends on what one expects. As I said many times before, I wish there were more ‘benefits’ to RadarSpotters as hobbyists, and not just as feeders.

As for MLAT, it’ll be less of an issue in about two years time. Actually, it should be less of an issue for you now, being in the UK. North America is behind the ball on this.

Saw your original reply but unable to respond at the time, now see reply was withdrawn. Hope there were no issues, can’t remotely see what may have been an issue. I did however see that Eric Carlson had posted reminding that distribution of FW’s mlat data was not allowed, never an intention, merely thinking about sharing what the Pi records. Perhaps my lack of understanding of terminology made some think I was attempting something that was not allowed.

So much goes on in the background, all I see are planes moving on maps, how that happens can be a mystery.

I seem to have ADSBx working via a rebroadcast server from VRS, all my settings are correct but it seems that after describing on their web page exactly how to do it via VRS that they prefer one doesn’t use that method so not sure what to do.

I’m currently quite happy with my two FA devices, VRS gives a far better display than SkyView, especially on mobile devices.

Thank you for the offer, much appreciated, can learn a lot from fellow enthusiasts.

Geoff

Glad you sorted it all out. The observations I was going to make were:

1. There is no problem feeding from VRS, if the right format is used. Unfortunately that is not the case with all feeders. Using the image avoids that problem, since there is no format setting that needs to be selected by the feeder.

As for timing, ensure the PC clock is accurate. If you want to be absolutely sure, and never worry about it, install PC clock sync software. Dimension4, aka D4, is great and free.

1. ADS-B Exchange has 2 live maps. One accessible by clicking on Global Radar View, and the other by clicking on Custom Feeds.

The Global Radar View, as the name implies, is global. All the data from all the feeders are displayed there. There is no way to differentiate who fed what.

The Custom Feeds map allows anybody to see what each feeder, with a ‘dedicated’ port, is feeding.

1. By default, as per general instructions, feeding from VRS will use port 41000. In this case, there is no way to see just your traffic. For that, you need to setup a custom port in the 53XXX range.

2. If you use the ADSBX image, or the adapted ADSBX Piaware image, a custom port is in the 51XXX range.

3. To select a custom port, one must use the Custom Feeds map, not the Global Radar View. The latter does not have a receiver option on the Map menu.

Open the Map menu, select receiver. Scroll down the list, and look for a zCons-51XXX if using the image, or a zCons-53XXX if feeding from VRS.

Wait a couple of minutes, if no planes are displayed, chances are the port is available. Use that port number when configuring the image or VRS. Wait a few minutes and your traffic should show up on the map.

1. After this is done and working, and if you want to keep the port for your ‘exclusive’ use, send the email, as described in the custom feeds instructions, asking for the port to be customized for you. It may take up to 2 weeks, after the request is received, for the customization to be done. It’s done by a volunteer. He said it takes 4+ hours to set them up. He works on the custom feed requests every couple of weeks.

Give it another name, the user name as you asked before, can be the same. Suggest you use just a name, not the port number as part of the name. The port could still be ‘hijacked’ by another feeder, so masking the port number will help keep it free for your ‘exclusive’ use.

Write the port number down for future reference, if you need to re-image the SD card, or re-install VRS.

Regarding MLAT, as mentioned many times before, the MLAT data provided by FA cannot be re-distributed.

There is no major benefit or advantage about MLAT, as it’s used for positioning the plane on the map. Ok, there is, but it’s not a biggie for me. The plane is still ‘detected’ using Mode S. The map is nice, but it’s just a visual thing, great to show other people. I have now switched the map off, and keep just the list.

ADS-B Exchange MLAT is not widely available. It may not be the case in your area, but it’s in mine. Very few ADS-B Exchange feeders here, not enough data for MLAT.

As mentioned before, MLAT is not as relevant in Europe as it is in North America. That will hopefully change in approximately 2 years time.

Enough, I guess. Hopefully the above will help others.

Brilliant explanation, thank you.

I don’t mind feeding ADSBx but not sure any advantage in seeing my data on their map as I run my Pi 24/7 and VRS regularly so visually I have my data visible.

Currently I am feeding ADSBx via VRS rebroadcast server. Strange, the person who answered on ADSBx Forum had some title, either admin or staff. They suggested not to use VRS as it mangles headers. Didn’t say anything about only if settings wrong. Sounded a bit dramatic so was considering stopping.

You sound as though you know quite a bit; have you any suggestions as to viewing a live map in US. I have a friend who lives near Calsbad in CA. When I visited I took my Pi over, she found it quite fascinating seeing it on the map then seeing it fly over but of course the data was live from my Pi. Now I am back in UK the Flightaware maps for her area seem very delayed, so much so hard to identify aircraft. Think I’ve read on FA site that US rules delay aircraft positions by up to 5 minutes so perhaps I need to set up a permanent station at her place :slight_smile:

Geoff

Sure…ADS-B Exchange’s Global Radar View, zoomed to her area, will allow her to see traffic as live as it can be without one’s own receiver. Granted that it depends on ADS-B Exchange having feeders in the area.

Glad you sorted it all out. The observations I was going to make were:

There is no problem feeding from VRS, if the right format is used. 

The port shown on my VRS receiver set up is port 30003 so I assume then that using the VRS Rebroadcast server to ADSBx is all OK and I am not inadvertently feeding data that FA have returned to me?

ADSBx Global View was good suggestion for viewing Californian traffic but panning the map not easy. I do reduce the size considerably but ADSBx wants to list all the aircraft as you pan the map. Suppose that is a VRS issue and not ADSBx

Geoff

Geoff

I’m not in front of my VRS right now, but I believe that’s what happens. The ASD-B Exchange rebroadcast configuration calls for setting the port to 41000, but it’s then translated to another one.

As for the traffic you are sending them, that’s set elsewhere. What do you have on VRS right now as receivers? I have ADS-B, MLAT, and Merged (These receivers can have any names, I just used their function as names). To stay on good terms with FA :grinning:, you must send the data from the ADS-B, not the MLAT or the merged receivers.

Not sure I understand. Just drag the map to California, than zoom in to Carlsbad. If you zoom out too much, before moving it, the map slows down substantially as it tries to display all the traffic in the expanded displayed area.

I have two R-Pi devices with PiAware software. Named Fairmead and Fairmead 02 which is my location. My local address is 10.19.44.0/24

Set up as per image link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GSumBezWD4mg3lVnW6as7cHlJ00lC_Q5

Seems it is receiving data from Pi on port 30003

I’ve stopped rebroadcasting just in case I’m inadvertently sending wrong details.

Panning the map, I’ve just seen on the ADSBExchange menu, short cuts, pause - this tops the system trying to display all the aircraft.

Geoff

Based on the screen capture you posted, it seems to me you are not displaying the FA MLAT on VRS. There is no MLAT ‘receiver’, and no merged ‘receiver’.

I find it also different that you are using port 30003. Most people with an RTL-SDR dongle type use beast, port 30005, as opposed to basestation as the format.

I’m not saying what you are doing is wrong, but it’s not the ‘standard’, as far as I have seen and used.

Please disregard my previous postings, as it may cause problems with your current configuration.

As for the map on ADS-B Exchange, that was what I was referring too. If you zoom out too much, it slows down substantially. It may be better to zoom in, and move the map in smaller steps.

It might be pure luck it works and appears to be doing so. Probably thought ‘Base Station’ sounded right and chose it then went for default settings. Doubt I would have chosen port 30003 so must have been default and as I’d seen it on Pi when netstat -l command issued guessed it would be correct.

Reason I zoomed out was - long way from UK to Western US so more for convenient but as I found the ‘pause’ option on VRS menu not an issue.

Thank you very much for your input.

Geoff