ADS-B Exchange

Folks, is anyone aware if adsbexchange.com have changed their web page recently?

I am sure I used to login which gave me saved preferences and location on Global View. This seems to have disappeared.

Geffers

I’m a recent feeder to ADS-B Exchange. I don’t remember seeing this option, but when I go back, the setting are the same. Could it be cookie related?

1 Like

Does ADSB Exchange still use* FlightAware user uploaded data?

*others may say another term ha!

While I cannot say for sure, I doubt it.

The reason I say this is that when I stop feeding to them very few, if any, planes are displayed in my area.

If by that you mean MLAT data, no they do not use FA MLAT data. Adsbexchange does their own MLAT, which is why it’s important that as many of us as possible also feed it in addition to FA.

3 Likes

I was under the impression they fed back all MLAT data from the FA client (that you see to create the MLAT aircraft positions on your own Piaware map. ie FA people not feeding to ADSB ex data is used and ends up on ADSB Ex, I think the latest FA client blocks it but it is a well known thing that they did / still did it. Yes they have a few contributors but they are pretty scarce, especially here in the UK, seeing you need 5 or more receivers to plot/calculate an aircrafts position with MLAT, yet I regularly still see them able to in situations where they just don’t have any receivers near by… I refuse to feed to them because of that.

I’d rather feed to the better websites (other than FA/FR24) like 360Radar.co.uk (great in the UK) or Plane Finder etc.

Disclaimer: I don’t speak for ADS-B Exchange. Just one person’s guess, and yours may be better than mine.

Having fed ADS-B Exchange both directly from the RPi, and through VRS, I wonder if what you describe was caused by ADS-B Exchange VRS feeders forwarding their Merged Feed. I’m careful to only send them port 30005, not the Merged Feed or port 30105.

1 Like

This all sounds very complicated, I thought all flight tracking used the same signals - bit like all TVs receive same image.

Geffers

Direct off the air 1090 reception is just one source. There are others, both government and private. The newest source is satellite. Hobbyists are already decoding it using a free software package called JAERO:

The antenna is a bit more elaborate. A good source for now, until stocks run out, is the Outernet patch antenna:

VRS already supports JAERO, its output can be merged with your 1090 source.

I have nothing to do with any of the above. Info provided for entertainment purposes only.

1 Like

Yeah, they were/still are scooping up all the ‘Piaware’ mixed MLAT feed that FA send back to you to create the MLAT aircraft on your local map. Witnessed it a few times in Scotland, where they have few receivers. Where the coverage would be identical to the FA feed, but only for MLAT.

If by “they” you mean Adsbexchange, then they cannot do this themselves, unless the individual data feeders mix their FA Mlat feedback at port 30104 with their local data at port 30005 (using VRS or modesmixer2) and feed this mixture to Adsbexchange. In this case the individual feeders are to be blamed for violating their agreement with FA.

1 Like

Posted on Github today:
Installation script for Adsbexchange data feeder, with startup & control by systemd - no more rc.local

https://github.com/abcd567a/adsbexchange/blob/master/README.md

sudo systemctl restart adsbx-mlat
sudo systemctl status adsbx-mlat

sudo systemctl restart adsbx-mlat
sudo systemctl status adsbx-mlat

MLAT

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status adsbx-mlat
● adsbx-mlat.service - Adsbexchange-mlat
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/adsbx-mlat.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-10-26 23:27:14 EDT; 44min ago
 Main PID: 1904 (adsbx-mlat.sh)
   CGroup: /system.slice/adsbx-mlat.service
           ├─1904 /bin/sh /usr/share/adsbexchange/adsbx-mlat.sh
           └─1905 /usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:30005 --lat 43.5xxx --lon -79.6xxx --user 001-abcd567

Oct 26 23:42:15 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:42:15 2019 Receiver:   53.7 msg/s received       25.3 msg/s processed (47%)
Oct 26 23:42:15 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:42:15 2019 Server:      0.0 kB/s from server    0.3kB/s TCP to server     0.0
Oct 26 23:42:15 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:42:15 2019 Results:  9.9 positions/minute
Oct 26 23:42:15 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:42:15 2019 Aircraft: 4 of 4 Mode S, 9 of 9 ADS-B used
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Receiver status: connected
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Server status:   ready
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Receiver:   48.5 msg/s received       24.8 msg/s processed (51%)
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Server:      0.0 kB/s from server    0.3kB/s TCP to server     0.0
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Results:  6.0 positions/minute
Oct 26 23:57:16 raspberrypi adsbexchange[1904]: Sat Oct 26 23:57:16 2019 Aircraft: 4 of 4 Mode S, 11 of 11 ADS-B used

SOCAT

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status adsbx-socat
● adsbx-socat.service - Adsbexchange-socat
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/adsbx-socat.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-10-26 23:24:50 EDT; 50min ago
 Main PID: 1805 (adsbx-socat.sh)
   CGroup: /system.slice/adsbx-socat.service
           ├─1805 /bin/sh /usr/share/adsbexchange/adsbx-socat.sh
           └─1806 /usr/bin/socat -u TCP:localhost:30005 TCP:feed.adsbexchange.com:30005

Oct 26 23:24:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Adsbexchange-socat.

Have you checked how their scripts currently work?
https://github.com/adsbxchange/adsb-exchange

It’s using systemd services now as well and the setup script will even remove the old rc.local entries.

No, I never saw it

No, I did not know about their new script. Thanks for pointing.

I have been using their original design of rc.local. About an year ago I developed this systemd service script for my personal use. Today I decided to post it on github without knowing that they have already switched to systemd service.

1 Like

I now checked https://github.com/adsbxchange/adsb-exchange/blob/master/setup.sh, and found that the switch from rc.local to systemd service is very recent, was done only about a month ago, in following commits, and that is why I was not aware of it:

Commits in file setup.sh on Sep 9, 2019, which changed startup from rc.local to systemd service:

(1) adsbxchange committed on Sep 9
Merge branch ‘master’ into master

(2) wiedehopf committed on Sep 9
use systemd service for mlat as well

1 Like

Should have just written: I’ve recently changed that :wink:

1 Like

Why would that be “important” for us, here on FA?
I stand by my statement that feeding site that does not recognize requests of privacy is a bad idea and it can help only… foreign intelligence services. Whatever that means to you.

With all due respect, it’s not just foreign actors. Check out C-GMPB for instance. It’s blocked on FA. It’s owned by the RCMP. It circles for hours at 6-9000 ft in about 2-3 mile radius circles over cities, including some US ones. From that altitude you can get an identifiable photo of a face or license plate. Or intercept cell phone metadata and text messages from thousands of phones. all of this is done without a warrant and the legality of IMSI intercepts has never been tested in Canadian courts. The older generation takes a “I have nothing to hide” attitude towards this. Interestingly younger adults, who routinely share all sorts of info about themselves on the web, are not so sure this type of surveillance is OK in a free and open society. I have no problem with police surveillance, but there needs to be appropriate judicial oversight, at least in our country.

Tracking blocked aircraft has allowed some journalists to trace arms sales and money laundering activities. These involve both US and foreign actors. These are important activities in the American investigative journalism tradition.

That’s why it is important that as many of us as possible feed both FA and ADSBexchange.

I’ll shut up now! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How do you know there isn’t “appropriate judicial oversight”. And what that means? Who is controlling the controllers?
Do unelected judges have the ultimate power?

Also… didn’t hear? Investigative journalism is dead. Was dead for some good years now, I would say decades.

Considering that “they” don’t need planes to circle above to get the data if “they” want it, and it’s easier to get it from you when buy an Alexa for example… have a good night.

1 Like