External IP showing as IPV6 not as IPV4

This isn’t for me but a friend who’s not on here.

His external IP on the site information tab when you log into the FA account shows as IPV6 not as IPV4.

How to change that.

Thanks

If he doesn’t know it, it can be found here https://whatismyipaddress.com/

The IPv6 adress is a result of his router connecting op IPv6 level with the external network.
In order to change that you might have to look at the router and check if and how IPv6 can be disabled so the router is connecting op IPv4 only.

The procedure ( if there is one) should be documented in the router manual or on the website of the manufacturer of the router.

For the functionality of the feeder it is of no importance. I have 14 sites, 10 out of them are reporting on IPv6 and 4 on IPv4.
They are all connected via the same router. This specific router doesn’t have the option to disable IPv6 and it doesn’t impact the reporting towards FA.

So he wasn’t home as he was away and wanted to know as his external IP had changed.

The FA IPV6 wasn’t right as I couldn’t convert it to IPV4 nor could I connect any other way.

He has his Skyaware port forwarded so he can’t remotely look and see but his IP had changed and not being home he couldn’t see what it was now.

Maybe use Teamviewer and a stepping stone ( Station able to connect to with Teamviewer) so he can remotely log in next time ? Just a thought btw, there are other solutions as well that don’t need a specific IP address.

This is become over complex.

In short all he needed to do was find his external IP as it had changed.

FA site info tab if logged in does show this but his is showing as IVP6 and not IVP4.

Any option for remote logging in, ssh etc is not an option.

Just really really simple log into FA account. See external IP, enter that into his browser he and anyone can now see it again. Job done.

1 Like

@obj mentioned a way to disable IPV6 just for flightaware a few years ago. I couldn’t find the right post.
@abcd567 had another post that showed you how to disable completely on the RPI.

All of mine show their IPV6 address. It works so I have not need to disable it.