ELAL flying through Iranian airspace!

I thought Iranian airspace was closed off to Israeli Planes?? Every night EL AL flight 81 flies through Iran en route to Bangkok :open_mouth: . Would be grateful to have the opinion of experts about rules on civilian aircrafts’ right of passage through ‘hostile’ territory! Does that mean Iran air has the right to fly through Israeli airspace if it wanted to? Thank you.

I don’t think they have approvals for most Middle Eastern countries. I’ve heard them on the radio flying over the middle of the Red Sea which puts them legally over international waters. Aeroflot used to do the same thing back in the Soviet days.

This subject came up recently and I can’t find the photo of the actual ELAL route map that someone posted on flickr but they don’t fly over iran, they go a considerable distance around…
jer979.blogspot.com/2011/02/el-a … vance.html

Thank you for your replies. I raised this because Flightaware’s live flight tracker actually shows an ELAl flight going over Iraq and Iran en route to Bangkok! Is there a’ secret’ agreement for these flights? Otherwise, I thought Flight Aware’s data was accurate! :unamused:

Example: Tel Aviv-Hong Kong flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY7 … /LLBG/VHHH blue line passing over iran is an estimate/guess
flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY7 … /LLBG/VHHH is a yellow line probably accurate but you have to read the disclaimer at the bottom of map At least part of this flight occurs outside of FlightAware’s primary service area. Learn more about FlightAware’s coverage