Dump1090 is NOT producing data on port 10001.

I couldn’t find this in the documentation or a search.

I just got everything set up, using the start from scratch option (bought a dedicated Pi for this). When I run piaware-status, I get the following:

dump1090 is running.
faup1090 is not running.
piaware is running.
dump1090 is listening for connections on port 30005.
dump1090 is listening for connections on port 10001.
piaware is connected to port 10001.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.
dump1090 is producing data on port 30005.
dump1090 is NOT producing data on port 10001.

Should I be concerned about that last line?

Thanks,
Eric

I had the same info as you before I upgraded to version 1.19. After the upgrade I get the following:

dump1090 is running.
faup1090 is not running.
piaware is running.
dump1090 is listening for connections on port 10001.
piaware is connected to port 10001.
dump1090 is producing data on port 30005.
dump1090 is producing data on port 10001.

Im still trying to find a good source on the inner workings of this setup.

This is my first day with FlightAware. I had a dump1090 running on a RPi B+ so today I added PiAware and got an account.
I don’t think I have things working properly yet, but the piaware-status indicates I’m not making proper connections. Does anyone know how to make these port connections?

Some help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Here is what is output from piaware-status:

~ $ sudo piaware-status
dump1090 is running.
faup1090 is running.
piaware is running.
faup1090 is listening for connections on port 10001.
piaware is NOT connected to port 10001.
got ‘couldn’t open socket: connection timed out’
dump1090 is NOT producing data on port 30005.
got ‘couldn’t open socket: connection timed out’
dump1090 is NOT producing data on port 10001.

AFAICT the last line is related to whether there’s live aircraft data available. If there are no aircraft in your area then there’s nothing output on 10001. Note that dump1090 is listening (otherwise you’d get an ECONNREFUSED), it’s just not producing any output at the moment. When a plane appears (and assuming your SDR and aerial are set up OK), you’ll get something on 10001.

(To the maintainers of piaware, since piaware-status is the primary means of trying to figure out what’s wrong with a setup, it would be good if it provided somewhat more useful information. I don’t speak tcl so I don’t want to start messing around with the code in the repository, but it looks like changing the line ‘set programs [list dump1090 faup1090 piaware]’ in helpers.tcl to exclude faup1090 would remove that source of false positives, and then fa_style_data_callback could include a note to say that the lack of data may be due to there being no aircraft in the area. Also, test_port_for_traffic takes an awfully long time to produce output (the first few times I ran it I thought it had hung and hit ^C), a progress indicator would be useful here to let users know that it hasn’t hung).