Dump1090-fa MLAT queries

Hello,

Recently got myself a Pi Zero 2W and an RTL SDR dongle to start ADS-B feeding.

My current setup is a Pi OS64 bit running dump1090-mutability, with fr24 feed configured via beast mode. I followed the wonderful guide written by abcd567 on the FR24 forums.

However, I am now interested in MLAT data and my understanding is FR24 doesn’t feed back data to my local map.

Hence I thought of shifting to dump1090-fa and feeding to piaware in addition to FR24 to see MLAT data on my local map.

In this regard, I have a few queries, which I hope can be answered.

1. Will the MLAT data fed to my local map be blocked/anonymized or will I get full access to the aircraft, such as its tailnumber, registration, squawk, etc.? Would anyone be willing to post a screenshot of their MLAT tracked planes?

2. Will I be able to use the dump1090-mutability interface with the fa one? In other words, the 2 clock version, instead of skyaware?

The reason for this is, I personally prefer tracking my aircraft on FR24 rather than FA. The dump1090-mutability has links to several websites including FR24 and FA, but the FA version redirects directly to FA (which is as expected). I also believe the dump1090 mutability version is much cleaner (read empty) than the fa one. This is purely a personal choice.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Regards,
alphamike1612

1 Like

@alphamike1612

Please do NOT install both dump1090-mutability and dump1090-fa on same RPi. This will create a mess.

As you have mentioned you prefer dump1090-mutability, then there is no need to install dump1090-fa. You can get mlat feed back from Flightaware displayed right on your existing dump1090-mutability local map by simply installing Flightaware data feeder “piaware” on your Pi OS 64bit.

Installing piaware datafeeder will not disturb your current FR24 feeder install.

Following commands will install Flightaware data feeder “piaware” on your Pi OS 64-bit.

wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/f/flightaware-apt-repository/flightaware-apt-repository_1.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i flightaware-apt-repository_1.1_all.deb

Update your apt package sources and install PiAware. This will install all the required dependencies on your Raspberry Pi.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware

IMPORTANT NOTE:

In order for piaware data feeder to be able to use dump1090-mutability, you need to check configuration of fr24feed as well as configuration of dump1090-mutability.

Please issue following commands and post their outputs:

grep START_DUMP1090 /etc/default/dump1090-mutability

grep receiver /etc/fr24feed.ini

1 Like

For non-blocked aircraft we provide a mlat position that augments what skyaware displays: you’ll see all the local data you received, plus a mlat position.

For aircraft on the blocklist, we anonymize the aircraft identity; you’ll get a position, but the hexid is modified (and flagged as modified) so it will not match up with the local data you’re receiving directly, so you’ll end up with two “aircraft”: one positionless aircraft with all the data you’d usually have from local data, and one with-position aircraft with an anonymized hexid and no other metadata. You can turn off receiving those anonymized results if they’re not useful.

mlat results are purely additive to whatever you have locally, skyaware continues to display all local data you received directly.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your replies. This has given a lot of new information.

@abcd567

Returns the value “yes”

Returns the value beast-tcp

The reason I also wanted to upgrade to dump1090-fa (while retaining mutability GUI) is that the fa version is supposed to be better at processing (ie.) Lower CPU usage and longer range.

Would anyone be able to comment on this?
Is there a gain in this regard?

@abcd567 from your post I understand it is not possible to use the mutability GUI in the fa version. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Once again thank you…!!

You should install only one of the two decoders i.e. either dump1090-fa OR dump1090-mutability. Both are capable to handle and dusplay mlat feed back aircrafts.

If you choose to keep dump1090-mutability, then do NOT install dump1090-fa. Install only piaware data feeder by commands I have given in my previous post. Your fr24feed and dump1090-mutability config are OK and dont need any modification.

If you choose to use dump1090-fa, then first uninstall dump1090-mutability by following command

sudo apt purge dump1090-mutability

After uninstalling dump1090-mutability, install piaware by command given in my previous post, and then install dump1090-fa by following command

sudo apt install dump1090-fa `

`sudo reboot

1 Like

I guess I didn’t put my question across clearly.
I want to use dump1090fa but with mutability map.
Basically tweak 2A in this post but in reverse. (Tweaks - #3 by abcd567)

Do you have any views regarding better performance of dump1090fa when compared to dump1090 mutability?

Thank you.

Getting the following error when trying to install piaware.

Following @abcd567 's instructions,

wget the package.
dpkg -i the package.
sudo apt update
sudo apt install piaware

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
piaware:armhf : Depends: tcllib:armhf but it is not installable.

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

That tweak is 5 years old, and there have been many changes in dump1090-fa and skyaware map during these 5 years. I doubt if that tweak will still work.

I would recommend to use a clean solution, i.e. uninstall dump1090-mutability, and install dump1090-fa, and just forget about the two clock map and any tweaks. In my opinion, the dump1090-fa skyview map is better than two clock mutability map.

You have Pi 64-bit OS.
First clear broken install of 32-bit piaware

sudo apt --fix-broken install

Next remove flightaware repo (which you have added by wget & dpkg commands) using following command:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/flightaware-apt-repository.list   

sudo apt update   

Next install the 64-bit versions of piaware (and dump1090-fa if you want, but only after removing the dump1090-mutability) by the method given here:

https://github.com/abcd567a/rpi/blob/master/README.md

1 Like

Thank you @abcd567 . I have now installed piaware and I am able to see MLAT data on my dump1090.

However, I am unable to access the local webpage of FA. (ip-of-pi:8080). To access this webpage, is it enough if I install piaware-web(from your PPA) or should I purge my old dump1090 and install dump1090-fa?

I am happy as is. Just trying to get more information.

Regards,
alphamike-1612

The skyaware map with aircraft is available at ip-of-pi/skyaware/ OR ip-of-pi:8080 ONLY if you have purged your dump1090-mutability and installed dump1090-fa.

The piaware-web is available at ip-of-pi OR ip-of-pi:80 and shows status as in screenshot below

Thank you @abcd567 . Both of these are of no use to me. Once again thank you for the guidance.

Regards,
alphamike-1612

It is perfectly OK if you feel that both the dump1090-fa and piaware-web are of no use to you, and have decided to continue with dump1090-mutability.

I have multiple receivers. On some of these I have installed dump1090-fa, while on some others I have installed dump1090-mutability. I am happy and comfortable with both types of dump1090. :slightly_smiling_face: