Dump1090-fa for 32-bit Ubuntu 18.04 and dump1090 for Windows?

Good morning!

I am using the Wiedehopf version of dump1090-fa on several Raspberry Pi’s (thank you to Wiedehopf)!

I also use several old Panasonic CF-18 Toughbooks. Formerly Windows XP, I have changed these to Ubuntu 18.04 and virtual Windows through Wine. I am currently using dump1090-mutability (from ADS-B Receiver Project), but this does not seem to be supported anymore.

I wonder if it is possible to run the Wiedehopf dump1090-fa version on 32-bit machines, or if anyone else has solved this problem?

On another matter, my Windows version of dump1090 is “donkey’s years” old and, I believe, modelled on the original dump1090 version. Again, is there a version of dump1090-fa for Windows please? I use the FA blue dongle direct with my Windows laptop when I am mobile.

Thank you,
Ian

I followed these instructions to setup Dump1090-fa and piaware on an Ubunto 20 system.

Don’t forget to follow Section 4 - Configure Station ID to Configure an Existing Station

S

I don’t have a dump1090-fa version?
Or do you mean tar1090?

You can use this guide, it’s independent of architecture, only requires Debian / Ubuntu or another Debian based OS:
Setup: ADSB decoder on Raspbian or Debian or Ubuntu · wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki · GitHub

No one working on dump1090-fa has interest in making sure it compiles on Windows.
I think it doesn’t, but i have never tried and don’t use Windows.

Guess you need to carry a 2nd laptop, maybe you can connect it to the car for power :wink:

Howto Install Piaware 3.8.1 on Ubuntu 18 & 19 and Debian 10 amd64 on PC

On the RPi’s I am using your installation of dump1090-fa that is separated from (does not install) Piaware. At least, I found it on your Github site.

But, this version does not install on 32-bit Ubuntu 18.04.

I think that the 32-bit is the big issue here. I just have several redundant Toughbooks that I want to still get some use out of.

Looking at some of the other links that people have kindly provided, they seem to be for 64-bit???

Regarding dump1090 on Windows. This is so that I can use with PlanePlotter whilst mobile / in hotel rooms, etc. I have a particular need to use PlanePlotter rather than FR24, Plane Finder, etc.

Ian

I’m not sure what you are after exactly, but this may or may not serve your purpose. I’ve never tried anything in the link, so can’t comment on how it works and I think it’s pretty old, but I had the link saved in my notes regardless:
http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/page/79995023/Dump1090

I didn’t say you should use dump1090-fa.
Use the readsb automatic install script, it includes compilation.

I mean … try the steps in the link i included, pretty sure they will work no matter 32 / 64 bit …

Well i’m not saying you don’t need it, just saying dump1090-fa / reasdb doesn’t work on Windows.
So you’ll just have to use one of the old versions of dump1090 that do work on Windows.

Thanks abcd567, your link worked a treat on my Ubuntu Toughbook - dump1090-fa now up and running on one of them. As this machine is not uploading to FA, I just followed items 1 and 2 and it has done the trick.

Now for a really dumb question, so apologies! Does the process of installing dump1090-fa (as said, your 1 & 2) automatically remove dump1090-mutability? If not, please can you remind me of the command to completely remove it? (If relevant, the mutability version was installed through the ADS-B Receiver Project / J Prochazka).

The newly installed dump1090-fa is feeding FR24 and Plane Finder correctly, with PlanePlotter running on the said Toughbook through Wine.

Thank you again,
Ian

Thanks Wiedehopf. Installed successfully now.

On the other matter, trying to find the best dump1090 version for Windows to evaluate the recently released Mode-A & Mode-C MLATs on PlanePlotter.

Ian

Thanks Nitr0,

No, not what I am after, but sorted now thanks.

Ian

No

Following command should do it:

sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-mutability
sudo reboot

1 Like

Thank you SweetPea11,

Think I am sorted now.

Ian

Dump1090 on Windows (Malcolm Robb)

https://github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090/archive/master.zip

Click above link. This will download dump1090-master.zip
Extract it, you will get a filder dump1090-master
Inside this folder you will find another zipped folder dump1090-win.1.10.3010.14.zip
Extract it, you will get a folder dump1090-win.1.10.3010.14
Inside this folder you will find all files of dump1090 for Windows
Double click dump1090.bat and it will start dump1090

NOTE:

Files inside folder `public_html are has Windows line break (CR LF). This causes a blank map at localhost:8080.

To overcome this, open all files in folder public_html using notepad ++, change the line break from Windows (CR LF) to Unix ( LF) and save file.

After you change all files in public_html to UNIX (LF), restart dump1090 and reload browser to see the map

EDIT

Above map is without clocks. After changing line breaks of files inside folder “public_html/coolclock” to Unix (LF), the map started showing the clocks .

Thanks abcd567.

I already have the original version running on my Windows laptop (although its version number is 1.15.1507.27).

I was wondering if there was a more recent / -fa version for Windows.

It seems not, so I will leave that one alone.

Thanks,
Ian

Up to about two years ago, the Flightradar24 had a Windows feeder, which included dump1090 for windows by Malcolm Robb. If I still have it on my Desktop, I will check its version number.

Since the Malcolm Robb’s Windows version of dump1090 has GUI displayed by files in its folder public_html, it may be worth trying to replace that folder by dump1090-fa’s public_html folder. It is a wild guess, but no harm in trying, somtimes wild ideas click :wink:

(1) Replaced dump1090 Windows version’s folder public_html by dump1090-fa’s folder public_html

(2) In the replaced folder, renamed index.htm to gmap.html

(3) Fired file dump1090.bat. Console opened and started showing flight table.

(4) In browser opened address localhost:8080

(5) Double-clicked file gmap.html (original name was index.html, changed to gmap.html)

Follow on from this earlier thread.

The Panasonic Toughbook (Ubuntu 18.04 - 32-bit) that I got dump1090-fa working on has now been replaced with a RPi4 running TwisterOS and Wine in my loft. I am now trying to convert the Toughbook to act as a receiver of dump1090 data from external, i.e, using Wiedehopf’s Combine1090.

I have got this working, but it then almost immediately crashes.

Please could one of you check whether I made a mistake somewhere?

dump1090-fa configuration

This is sourced by /usr/share/dump1090-fa/start-dump1090-fa as a

shellscript fragment.

If you are using a PiAware sdcard image, this config file is regenerated

on boot based on the contents of piaware-config.txt; any changes made to this

file will be lost.

dump1090-fa won’t automatically start unless ENABLED=yes

ENABLED=yes

RECEIVER_OPTIONS=“–net-only --device-index 0 --gain -10 --lat 51.XXXX --lon -0.XXXX --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005”
DECODER_OPTIONS=“–max-range 360 --modeac”

DECODER_OPTIONS=“–max-range 360”

NET_OPTIONS=“–net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --net-ri-port 0 --net-ro-port 30002 --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-bi$
JSON_OPTIONS=”–json-location-accuracy 1"

Thank you,
Ian

First check this please: How To Format Messages in This Discussion Forum - #2 by abcd567

Post the configuration again, formatted properly.
Also get the complete configuration i would assume some is cut off due to the editor.

cat /etc/default/dump1090-fa

Then check the log for dump1090-fa, maybe you find the issue yourself.

--net-only --device-index 0 --gain -10

Just as a first hint, this doesn’t make sense does it?
Check

dump1090-fa --help

See what each option does and how it doesn’t make sense.

Good morning Wiedehopf,

Thank you for your helpful response. I must apologise for getting it wrong in presentation.

# dump1090-fa configuration
# This is sourced by /usr/share/dump1090-fa/start-dump1090-fa as a
# shellscript fragment.

# If you are using a PiAware sdcard image, this config file is regenerated
# on boot based on the contents of piaware-config.txt; any changes made to this
# file will be lost.

# dump1090-fa won't automatically start unless ENABLED=yes
ENABLED=yes

RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--net-only --device-index 0 --gain -10 --lat 51.2967 --lon -0.0926 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005"
DECODER_OPTIONS="--max-range 360 --modeac"
NET_OPTIONS="--net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --net-ri-port 0 --net-ro-port 30002 --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-bi$
JSON_OPTIONS="--json-location-accuracy 1"

I am gathering that

--device-index 0 

needs removing, but that was not the root cause, as I initially did not have it in there and re-added it in my altering the file trying to get it to work.

My previous Combine1090 receiver in the house was running dump1090-mutability, so the set-up is different on the -fa one.

Thank you,
Ian

So have you looked at the log as i suggested?

Also you’re talking about combine1090 … that uses a different configuration file.
I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do.

How does it make sense to specify a device or the gain if you’re gonna be using an SDR?

Spot the asymmetry and the sudden stop in this line.
No closing " and an argument is cut off.
Might be from copying the text inside nano or something … can’t tell.