Do they work?

Hi everyone I just wanted to know which of these devices work with dump1090-mutability, rtl-airband, rtl-tcp, and spyserver.
airspy r2
airspymini
rsp1a
or other receivers that would allow me to improve my setup

An Airspy with an amp/filter is probably the best value for money. It has a much wider dynamic range than the std rtl-sdr dongle. It needs an RPI4 or better in a lot of locations. A heatsink or fan also helps keep the CPU from over heating and throttling itself.

ok, i’ve already got a raspberry pi4 and three fans.
is airspy mini a good deal?

Price or performance wise? There are enough happy users around here to justify its use.

1 Like

I have the mini and both old and new full airspys
The mini is more than enough for an RPI4.

Anyone who knows this mistake?
rtlsdr_write_reg failed with -4
Lately the nooelec v2 dongle disconnects itself, and only works with dump1090.
If I try to use rtl_tcp, spyserver or rtl_airband it disconnects immediately.
Also for this reason I would like to take the airspy mini, but I don’t know where.
Allow me to tag you because you have given me a hand in the past
@abcd567 @wiedehopf

For US, this is airspy shop: https://v3.airspy.us/
For rest of the world, pick one: Purchase - airspy.com

1 Like

Power issue or SDR going bad.

Check for power?
Debug commands · wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki · GitHub

Yep; -4 in particular is LIBUSB_ERROR_NO_DEVICE (“No such device (it may have been disconnected)”)

I tried to run:
sudo bash -c "$(wget -nv -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/adsb-scripts/master/rtl_test.sh)"
but I can’t, since as soon as I stop dump1090, the dongle “disappears” and running lsusb no longer comes out.
lsusb on startup:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
after running any command:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I still managed to run: bash -c "$(wget -nv -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/adsb-scripts/master/throttled.sh)" 2020-03-27 14:32:42 URL:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/adsb-scripts/master/throttled.sh [1421/1421] -> "-" [1] Status: 0x0 Undervolted: Now: NO Run: NO Throttled: Now: NO Run: NO Frequency Capped: Now: NO Run: NO Softlimit: Now: NO Run: NO

What do you want to do with the device?

If you only want to do ADS-B, get the FA ProStick+ and maybe an extra filter.

Or get the rtl-sdr blog v3 SDR and their rtl-sdr blog triple-filtered LNA.

The airspy pretty much needs an LNA for ADS-B (the above LNA works).
It obviously works with the spyserver … well because it’s an airspy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The problem is that I already have three nooelec v2 dongles (with two I get the same problem and with the third I cannot try because due to coronavirus I cannot go and get it)
I already own an rtl-sdr LNA
since I have tested two (of nooelec v2), I would like to understand if they are defective or if it is a software / power supply problem
With a dongle I would like to receive ads-b and with another ATCs

if I had to improve my setup would it be better to take:
-a yagi antenna to point in the direction in which I have greater coverage
-change receiver from nooelec to airspy mini
-add a different antenna for lower planes
-change LNA from that of Rtl-sdr to HABAMP ADS-b?

Yagi doesn’t help. You don’t “see” far because the signal is weak, but because obstacles are covering it. I saw 260 miles range with a small wire antenna and the blue FlightAware dongle (LNA+filter inside).
The trick was no obstacles to the horizon line (15 story high location).

To deal with high dynamic range of close-by versus far-away, in my location, the best solution was airspy dongles. Their DAC’s have a better dynamic range and cope well with this problem. However, they are expensive so… it depends of how much disposable income you have.

In this case I suggest you order an FA Pro Plus only from Amazon. Once that is up and running, add the RTL-SDR Blog LNA/Filter.

Your current approach may lead to unnecessary spending and frustration.

If you’ve got two dongles failing in the same way then either you’re pretty unlucky, or you’re got a problem elsewhere in your setup.

Unfortunately at the moment amazon.com doesn’t ship to my country due to coronavirus.

As soon as I can I recover the third one and if it doesn’t work with that either then I have problems with my setup

is itead.cc reliable? and Moonranker?

I ordered one and itead.cc delivered it :wink:

They sell then cheaper than local dealers, eg like the one you mentioned, but then customs is not included.

And your customer rights will be different, but it might be easier to find a solution with a Chinese company that tries to help than a local dealer that does not.

Not sure, but I think itead.cc are the actual manufacturer of the devices.

I remember your situation now.

I don’t think any of those will help you.
Yagi is probably the best thing to try (even if it probably won’t help).

Could be a defective USB extension or USB socket in regards to the SDR issues.
Could also be that the USB chip on your RPi is shot.

With one of the two dongles I have problems using it also from the PC (it also disconnects from them) while with the other it does not.
So I think it’s a problem or configuration of the raspberry or something else that doesn’t work.
To confirm that only one is not the dongle not working as soon as I can I go to get the third one (it can be this week with also in a month)