CP-2429 B727 loses all power crash lands in Bolivia..Photos

Bolivian Plane Crash Lands In Forest
Charter Jet Loses Power, Makes Emergency Landing In Bolivia; Injuries,
no fatalities.

LA PAZ, Bolivia, Feb. 1, 2008

(AP) A charter jet flown by airline Lloyd Aereo Boliviano was forced to make an emergency landing Friday in a flooded forest outside the eastern lowland city of Trinidad.

No one was killed, according to the airline’s regional manager in Trinidad, Patricia Aruz. But local news media said several passengers were taken to a nearby hospital for injuries.

Survivors interviewed by local radio stations said the plane first lost power and suffered serious damage when it landed.

“We noticed the engines went out, and there was this calm,” said Paolo Bravo, a Bolivian senator who survived the crash, in an interview with the radio network Erbol.

"Then they told us, ‘Crash positions! crash positions!’ and it was just another two or three seconds before we hit …

“The plane fell, the wings broke off, but the fuselage was OK,” he said.

The plane was turned away by fierce storms at its destination - the northern city of Cobija - and then headed south to Trinidad, some 370 miles away. The plane then lost power a few miles short of the runway.

LAB, Bolivia’s former state airline, was privatized in 1996 but has been in and out of bankruptcy in recent years. The company now runs a skeleton fleet of only a handful of planes on a charter basis only.

Note that this occurred near the Bolivian city of Trinidad, not the Caribbean island of Trinidad.

LAB currently only has 2 aircraft in its active fleet (both 727-200’s). Though they intend to get the fleet back up to 6 and restore scheduled operations in March. However, I imagine that this may put a hold on that and may be the end of the company.

Thanks, corrected to City of Trinidad, Country of Bolivia.

Apparently, early reports is the aircraft ran out of fuel, and crash landed in a field/forest 2 plus miles from the airport. Everybody survived!!!

Plane with more than 150 on board crash-lands in Bolivia,

DAN KEANE
Associated Press Writer
Local media photograph a Boeing 727, flown by Lloyd Aereo Boliviano airline, after it crashed near the eastern lowland city of Trinidad, Bolivia, Friday, Feb. 1, 2008. No deaths were reported. (AP Photo/ Arturo Mariscal)

Local media photograph a Boeing 727, flown by Lloyd Aereo Boliviano airline, after it crashed near the eastern lowland city of Trinidad, Bolivia, Friday, Feb. 1, 2008. No deaths were reported. (AP Photo/ Arturo Mariscal)

A passenger who survived a plane crash is transported on a stretcher near Trinidad, Bolivia, Friday, Feb. 1, 2008. A Boeing 727 flown by airline Lloyd Aereo Boliviano crashed on Friday and no deaths were reported.

LA PAZ, Bolivia A plane carrying more than 150 people crash-landed in a bog in eastern Bolivia on Friday after fierce storms turned it away from its destination and it tried to reach another airport hundreds of miles away, according to officials and news reports. All on board survived.

Photographs by local media showed the charter Boeing 727, flown by a local airline, in a flooded forest clearing, stripped of at least one wing. A set of landing gear was in the water nearby.

“We noticed the engines went out, and there was this calm,” Paolo Bravo, a Bolivian senator who was on board, told the radio network Erbol.

“Then they told us, ‘Crash positions! crash positions!’ and it was just another two or three seconds before we hit,” he said.

“I think you could call it a belly flop,” Bravo added. “The plane fell, the wings broke off, but the fuselage was OK.”

The plane took off from the Bolivian capital, La Paz, but severe storms forced it to turn away from its destination in the northern city of Cobija. It then headed some 370 miles south to the eastern lowland city of Trinidad and was three miles short of the runway when the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing.

The plane’s flight engineer said it experienced mechanical failure, according to Juan Carlos Zambrano, a reporter on the scene for Radio Patuju.

But airline spokesman Gustavo Viscarra said the cause was still under investigation. “It was the decision of the pilot to make a forced landing,” he said.

The airline’s manager in Trinidad, Patricia Aruz, said no one was killed. Most of the passengers were taken to nearby hospitals for review and several were injured, Zambrano said.

Viscarra said the plane was carrying 155 passengers but gave no figures for the number of crew.

But Zambrano, citing the flight engineer, said the plane had only 154 seats but was carrying 159 passengers, along with nine crew members.

The airline, known as LAB, was privatized in 1996 and has been in and out of bankruptcy in recent years. It now runs a skeleton fleet of a handful of planes on a charter basis.

LAB was operating the Boeing 727 as a charter for Transporte Aereo Militar, another small Bolivian airline. TAM has chartered LAB flights to carry overflow passengers during a heavy Bolivian rainy season that has washed out roads throughout the country.

Who needs engines???, when you have no fuel!!!

Well duh, every landing is forced. Pilot has no choice. He is going to land. Just a matter how far down the road he will land

Without fuel, that decision is made for the pilot. :smiley: It’s going to be quite a shorter distance.

Allen

I wonder if they only added fuel for if the aircraft was full to capacity, but since it was over capacity they didn’t add enough to account for that.

Either that or they just didn’t accurately run the numbers to know that they couldn’t divert to Trinidad or they spent too much time circling Cojiba before deciding to divert and there were no closer suitable landing sites than Trinidad (which I find somewhat unlikely), putting them in a real bind.

Wikipedia states the airline diseased last April :confused: :confused:

Well, I researched it and Trinidad at 368 nm away was indeed the closest suitable diversion point within Bolivia. The only closer airport was Reyes which only has a 4900 ft. unpaved runway.

LAB (Lloyd Aereo Boliviano) is an airline that is legally bankrupt, however, they conduct charter flights with two operational B727-200’s in their fleet. This flight was being operated for TAM (Transportes Aereos Militares) the Bolivian air force’s airline.

Edit: I guess I should say, 1 B727-200!

I’m shocked how much in tact the fuselage is. I wonder what the inside looks like.

We always see in the movies airplanes cart wheeling and tearing apart, these pictures really show just how well built they are; even though they aren’t built to crash. So to speak.

Why be shocked at how intact it is? We are talking about a Boeing aircraft, after all. Boeing makes them tough!

…as I always say: " take offs are discretionary, landings are mandatory!

Photo’s illustrate quite well why most crashes result in the survival of the passengers and that the cause of death in a majority crash situations ( commercial aviation ) is the resulting smoke and fire.

planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

" Protect yourself from the smoke!
In most of the cases, the fire and the smoke after an accident takes the most fatalities. The smoke inside the cabin is usually thick and has poisonous gases. The best you can do is to put a cloth in front of your mouth and nose. If you have a chance, make the piece of cloth wet, even with your own urine if there is no other way, it also reduces the risk of internal injuries if your bladder is empty. It may sound disgusting but it works and may save your life! "

airlineworld.wordpress.com/2008/ … air-crash/

airsafe.com/ten_faq.htm

NTSB Study:

ntsb.gov/publictn/2001/SR0101.htm

Minority of crashes have zero % survial rates.

ntsb.gov/aviation/Paxfatal.htm