Comparison of different dongles for 978 MHz UAT reception

When I started to research the UAT dilemma, what I found were several complex suggestions involving rewriting data to dump1090 and other complex methods of manipulating UAT data with unconvincing results. Other solutions included installing an additional dedicated SDR’s or running on a seperate pi. I was convinced their must be a much more direct approach.

With 40 years of programming experience, I noticed commonality and trends in RB’s variable naming convention and simply tried applying their existing syntax to parameters. RB’s parameters for several 1090 counterparts is “external_”. This logic and following the example demonstrated by the UAT dump978_enabled= command, I tried dump978_port and rbfeeder stopped complaining about port 28380 in error logs. Assigning other invalid ports created new errors and validated rbfeeder.ini’s use of this command to modify the port it was looking for.

Confirmation came within seconds of applying fa’s json port with RB displaying UAT traffic from my feeder and its identity promptly being added to RB’s list of online UAT 978 receivers within a few minutes.

As I can’t find any documentation to support this solution, despite current success, there is nothing to say future software changes won’t render it useless.

4 Likes