Yeah, I did check for continuity as I was putting each segment together (between the shield and inner conductor) just to make sure there was no unexpected short. Then along the length (end to end) to make sure there was good conduction along the way. The resistor at the very end makes for a quick/easy check anytime there might be a problem, just read the resistance from the F connector, if it’s close to the resister then all is well w/the antenna.
Sorry, but I didn’t think to take any pictures, and my filter is now potted in epoxy. But mine was modeled after the one here:
This design was initially to be etched onto a Cu clad board, but I haven’t done that since i was a kid, and the foil worked really well.
I didn’t have (couldn’t find) all the connectors, and soldered the coax directly to the Cu foil. It took no more than an hour or so to complete, then sunk it into epoxy a few weeks later while I had mixed up a batch to pot another project.
Here’s another idea: Aluminum foil tape is readily available at most hardware stores. Of course the main problem is soldering to the Al, but the stuff I picked up at HD had adhesive that was relatively conductive (not enough to pass any real current, but fine for antenna mockup/testing). Of course, I’m not sure how that would hold up being cooked in the sun day after day, but makes for a quick and easy way to play w/design ideas. As for electrical connections, just use some small screws.