FlightAware Discussions

Chinese version of Flightradar 24?

Actually that’s exactly the case. It’s illegal there.
The fact that some still do it… many things are illegal but people still do them.

1 Like

Flightaware coverage map shows lot of feeders from China. Do Flightaware have a local business in China, or have partnership with a local company like VeriFlight?

1 Like

Not sure about Russian sites collecting US ADSB. I was targeted by two groups in the mid '80s, and when asked what I did in the USAF, I told them I drove trucks. Are we being surveiled by Russians and/or Chinese? Probably. So far, I have mainly been feeding FlightAware. I enjoy working with the Pi computers, ADSB is one of the more interesting aspects. China does seem to monitor their web traffic, though billions of packets are on the net all the time. The routers are likely programmed to identify anomalous packets. Just my thoughts. Thank you to all supporting this project. Digging into the code some to work out some projects I have in mind.

1 Like

There are less than 100 sites for a population of 1.4 billions. Like I said above, not everyone will follow the rules/law.
Dissidents? Working for their intelligence service?

1 Like

Injecting synchronized data for detection of fake military planes via MLAT :alien:

1 Like

Iranians are doing it to the GPS signals… so why not?

1 Like

SOURCE: http://forum.adsbradar.ru/f19/variflight-ads-b-feeder-2227/

A free receiver is available to order in regions of interest to the service.

The receiver is a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2. with ID 0bda: 2832 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2832U DVB-T
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner as an expansion card

1 Like

I see the Pi circuit board and I wonder what circuit board is installed above? Or what I should say what sdr is that installed above?

This seems to be the answer

1 Like

The Variflight people are kind of implying they are better than Flightaware, go figure.
You all have to spend 15 minutes and read the page. Its funny.

1 Like

Variflight is growing! 87 airports now! I write this as sarcasm.

2 Likes

“flight happiness index”? I want to know more about that :smiley:

My last 13 hour flight wasn’t that happy.

2 Likes

At least it cannot be the page load happiness index.

Site is loading, but more like back in good old modem times

1 Like

However I would like to find the RTL card they are using in their feeder.

Original article in russian https://habr.com/ru/post/423989/
Translation to english https://sudonull.com/posts/9124-VariFlight-ADS-B-Flightradar-in-Chinese

An attempt to look under the screen was a success from the second approach. The lid broke off and turned out … … as it turned out everything was in vain - the marking with chips was carefully cut down.
Looking ahead, I will say that it turned out to be an almost ordinary RTLSDR receiver - RTL2832U DVB-T (0bda: 2838)

1 Like

Looking at the chip I would say so. I assume they removed the markings because of license agreements. I wonder who builds the board? I bet a long but successful seach will turn up who builds the board.

It looks like an ordinary Chinese unnamed PCB Assembly. Small batch production of circuit boards.

P.S. New version

1 Like

It would be interesting to find the radio board and experiment with it.

I think its characteristics are worse than RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Dongle

1 Like