British airways cancellation reason

Hi all,

I was recently due to fly on BA812 from LHR to Copenhagen on 23/12/23, but the flight was cancelled. When I spoke to BA at the time they told me this was due to a mechanical issue, now I’m claiming compensation and they are saying that air traffic control imposed restrictions due to weather. Is there a way of finding out the genuine reason the flight was cancelled? I’ve done some searching online but am struggling to find the right source of information. Thank you!

Airlines typically want to avoid payments and tell customers it was about weather.

My thought:
You do not need to check the technical reason. And weather can be verified easily.
If a flight is cancelled due to that, there should be someone official (not from the airline) who made the decision to deny either start or landing.

If it is just a decision of the airline, while other were flown, i do not see a reason to not pay.

Thanks Foxhunter - I agree, I suspect it’s the airline trying to avoid paying the compensation. The weather on the day was fine (plenty of other aircraft departing / arriving) but windy in the previous days. The challenge I have is it’s my word against BA, so wanted to find out if there is a source that documents the reason for cancellation? Failing that, is there is a way of finding historical ATC restrictions which I presume must be documented somewhere?

I have no idea how to find out the real reason.
But you can check with the airport about cancellations on that day.

Or check if Flightaware of Flightradar has a historic view for this airport on the day. Then you can easily see wether other flights are cancelled or not.
For sure BA would not accept it as evidence, but they are then struggling more in keeping this reason.