Beechcraft Starship

I was wondering if anyone knew the tail numbers to any Beechcraft Starship. I have only one twice in my life. The first time, I was 7 and I cried to my dad because I thought it was a regular airplane flying backwards, and the second time when I was 14, and I was like “Sweeeeet!”

There were only like 53 built and then Beech ended production and recalled all the leased ones and tried to buy the others back.

It is a cool looking plane.

However, I think the Piaggio P180 Avanti is just as cool looking. The interior on one is really nice…

You’re not likely to ever see any more, sad to say.

If you want to get depressed, read Robert Scherer’s website about the checkered history of this magnificent aircraft and the eventual fate of all 53 produced: rps3.com/Pages/Starship.htm

When Raytheon (Beech) Aircraft killed the all composite Starship program, they re-purchased the fleet except for three owners who refused to sell.

While some Starships went to museums, most went to the Arizona desert where they were chopped up and incinerated with Raytheon picking up the tab.

Robert Scherer BTW is the owner/pilot of NC-51 and has been the “official” chase plane for both Spaceship One and the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer. Allegedly he has a hangar full of Starship spare parts, enough to build two more aircraft some say, and has vowed to keep NC-51 flying for as long as he lives.

You might want to pick up a copy of Dallas Kachan’s book “The Starship Diaries” chronicling his two year adventure flying around the world in NC-42.

Regards,

James

Yeah, I was googling last night, and saw that only 4 are in active service… I wonder… if I hit the powerball, if Raytheon would let me buy one of the not-yet-destroyed planes they have, even if i sign a waiver. Also, I did come accross the Piaggio P180 Avanti, and I think That was the first “backwards” Plane I saw, and not the starship like I originally thought. The Only thing I don’t like about the P180 is the main wing is straight and not Delta. (Well, I should probably learn to like straight wing aircraft, b/c That’s pretty much all I’ll be flying.)
-Josh

Quote of the day: “Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime, Beat a man with a fish, and he’ll probably leave you alone.”

There are a few Avantis around, that might be what you saw. N181BG recently changed hands and is based up in the UP now IIRC.

No, Raytheon won’t sell you a Starship, they’ll barely sell the parts from them.

Regards,

James

Check out N514RS. Its based at SNA and makes regular trips between SNA and ASE.

Here is a Starship that’s for sale. L-3 Communications owns it and has it based in MS. Here’s a link along with an email address to contact the seller:

bobscherer.com/Pages/Starshi … .htm#NC-45

It’s based at my airport and I have been inside this plane. The instrument panel inside this plane something to behold. Didn’t have my camera when I was in it. :confused:

If anybody wants a pic of this plane from the outside as it was taxing in to it’s own private hangar, email or private mail me through this website and I will send it.

Allen

Are there any other “backwards” planes out there, for commercian and GA use?

Piaggio Avanti

I parked next to an Avanti at Mesquite Texas, just the other day. It looked brand new.

A whole section of Piaggio Avanti pictures … enough to salivate over.

HFB 320

I HAVE PICTURES OF STARSHIP 1 WHEN IT WAS HERE AT ROCKWELL IN CEDAR RAPIDS,IOWA. I HAVE PICTURES OF IT ON THE RAMP AND PICTURES OF THE COCKPIT,I EVEN HAVE A EMERGENCY EXIT INSTRUSTION CARD FROM THE STARSHIP 1 THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY ONE OF THE CREW. IF YOU WANT PICTURES AND I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD THEM TO THE NET I’LL BE GLAD TO SEND THEM TO ANYONE.

That’s a very nice offer, welcome to the Forum.

BTW, typing in all caps is considered to be the same as shouting!

Piagio just came out with a new upgrade to p.180. It is starting to gain wider acceptance. I used to visit Beech plant in Witchita during Starship production. They reported a very strange sound on ground and in air. The Premier I adopted some of what was learned from the Starship.

The Piaggio does have a very distinct sound also, primarily due to the short, high rpm props and the exhaust directed right through the props. I’ve also heard that they are extreme hangar queens and are a huge bitch to work on, a burden on both the A&P and the CFO.
Unlike the PC12, easier to work on than that old oldsmobile out back.
Even Piaggio markets the P180 as the Ferarri of the skies while the PC12 is marketed as the SUV of the skies. Which would you rather work on?
…Of course, I’m slightly biased in my opinion.

I thought I had read somewhere that the newest iteration is going to have scimitars?? Should make them sound even more interesting.

Burden. (Gotcha!)

FAST! Me like fast! :smiling_imp:

I dont know what you’re talking about. Looks fine to me! :slight_smile:

I prefer the styling of the starship much better than the piaggio. The P180 looks too much like a catfish!