Bad idea

I stole this from a.net because I would like to hear what everyone in this forum thinks of this:

flightglobal.com/articles/20 … trike.html

At FX we watch aircraft strike prevention training as well as ojt. We are told “Report a/c strikes immediately or face discharge, and potential criminal charges and fines”.

What I think is crazy is we won’t hear…unless someone on here knows the amount paid out to repair the damage, which I’m sure that coupled with any other expences endured by NW would be passed on to Air Wisconson.

I am not saying bad aircraft strikes never happen and I’ll give ya a doozy to show proof.

We were working an ATA B-727 going PIE-MDW. We were told during the boarding process that the lavs still smelled bad. One of my ramp crew ran to get our towable lav cart. When he pulled to the rear lav service panel he cut the turn to wide and tore a 27" long by 9" wide gash down the side of the plane. It was there for 3 days being repaired and we got the entire bill.

Criminal! Those morons jeopardized the lives of 99 people to delay the loss of their jobs. Charges of something like Attempted Manslaughter should be filed against all who were involved in the incident and said nothing.

I agree, having been in that profession for nearly 13 years. Never did I contribute to A/C damage, but I was supervisor on duty during a GPU pullaway, (albeit more noticeable by the crew), or instances of my rampers giving incorrect weights to the crew and having the aircraft already departed the gate, and having to contact ATC to try to get the aircraft to call us and let us tell them of the mistake. Mistakes happen, and yeah you’ll probably be fired if you put a gaping hole in the aircraft, but looking for another job is a lot easier than looking for a place to hide from the guilt of causing something catastrophic as this could’ve become.

Thanks my feeling

I’m a ramper and I completely agree with what pfp217 has said. I can’t even begin to fathom how bad I would feel if I did or saw something, failed to report it, then it caused a crash.

Would you guys agree that dumb guys like these are the reason that in some locations at some companies ramp people are just looked at like scum… :imp:

I love working the ramp, I feel like a little kid every day getting to use all that equipment, and being around all the aircraft…little kids LOVE that stuff. I think it helps make me feel younger…my back and shoulders might say otherwise but you get it. :wink:

I’m curious how the airplane passed the checklist item for pressurize on the ground.

There is a checklist item for most pressurized aircraft which requires that the packs be turned on on the ground and the pressure hull tested for integrity.

The leak down test should have caught this immediately . . . .

Skipped item due to an abbreviated checklist run?

so then whose fault really is the depress? You can see where I am going with this - I use the checklist every time even though I’ve got 300 hours in my airplane over 2 years its checklist for everything. Thats what the cab press checklist item is there for . . . unless the tug only ‘damaged’ the pressure hull and when the hull was truly pressurized it popped.

That’s not exactly how that works. While there is a checklist item to ensure that the the “packs” are on and generating bleed pressure, the outflow valve(s) that regulate the cabin pressure don’t start doing their job until after T/O. After T/O the outflow valve starts closing to pressurize the cabin. The climb checklist has an item to see if the cabin is pressurizing by noting a rise in PSId. No, or lower than normal, PSId then either the outflow valve is not doing its job or there is a leak somewhere else.

Depending on the severity of the damage, a quick ground pressurization check probably wouldn’t show anything. The aircraft I’ve flown simply have you check the system for a “cabin descent” on the ground. Typical descent rate is 300 to 500ft/min. Now, I’ve had a bleed air regulator solenoid fail, and when we turned on the bleeds we got a 5000+ ft/min descent rate in the cabin! Even if you had a whole in the pressure vessel somewhere you’re going to get some descent rate.

We have nothing like that in the Lear