Avro Lancaster??

About a month ago an Avro Lancaster came to KCXO? I don’t know why, there was not any airshow or fly-in. Did not find anything on FA…

Probably in route to or from Oshkosh. There is one there every year.

I did not think about that, it was about the same time the airshow was going on. But where would it be coming from to stop at CXO?

Vectored?

Wow, this one is a real mystery.
Since the only flying Lanc in North America is C-GVRA belonging to The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum based in Hamilton Ontario Canada, I cant imagine why it would be down in Texas. It was at Oshkosh July 28th.
Normally when C-GVRA flies it does not show up on FlightAware, I guess it does not file a plan.

Golly, I did not know it was the only one flying in North America. I have no idea what it would be doing… Unless the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston got it or something?

Just checked the Canadian Registration site and it is still owned by Canadian Warplane Heritage. I doubt very much if they would ever part with it. A huge amount of money and time was invested to get it airworthy, and it was an RCAF plane during the war. It has Canadian roots.
The only other airworthy Lanc in the world is in Britain. You were VERY lucky to have seen one of the two flying.
I used to live in Ontario and have seen it 3-4 times. It was awesome hearing those merlin engines coming. :smiley:

The registration site is here
tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepage … search.asp

I’ll bet so, I love radial engines. Thanks for the info! :smiley:

Merlins are not radials. :unamused:

Sorry. I read somewhere that they were radials, I guess that info was wrong. What are they then?

Amazing what you can find out when you go to www.google.com and put in “merlin engines”

From Wiki (the third link down on the search page)

The Rolls-Royce Merlin is a British, liquid-cooled, 27-litre (1,650 cu in) capacity, V-12 piston aero engine, designed and built by Rolls-Royce Limited. Initially known as the PV-12, Rolls-Royce named the engine the Merlin following the company convention of naming its piston aero engines after birds of prey.[2]

After a bit of searching I did find this regarding C-GVRA.

“The Mynarski Memorial Lancaster has toured Canada and the United States as far west as Abbotsford, British Columbia, as far east as Greenwood, Nova Scotia and as far south as Galveston, Texas. It has also appeared in movies and television.”

I can’t find anything regarding a date but it has been to Galveston at some point.
It has now become a mission to solve the “why it was in Texas mystery” :wink:

Sure has, and why at this little airport. :question: :question: :question:

Get on CXO airport page. It is at CXO right now. Arrived 4 hours ago. It says Avro 683 Lancaster!

The aircraft type is incorrect, it shows Avro Lancaster, but N66EL is actually a Lancair Legacy 2000,
check the picture.

flightaware.com/photos/view/2585 … 66EL%3bo=0

I did, but I thought the picture was wrong. You are right.

Finger trouble. I’ve seen this one beofre. The type ident for the Lancair is LNC2 but occasionally someone entering the flightplan data will inattentively type in LANC in error. A small detail that makes a big difference.

The same thing still happens wih the Falcon 20 bizjet. The old ident for the Falcon was the DA20 but it’s now the FA20. The DA20 now belongs to the Diamond Aviation DA-20 Katana/Eclipse aircraft (formerly HOAC DV-20). Again, a small error can make a huge difference.

Ok, thanks! :smiley:

This sort of thing happens regularly. I used to post about the really screwy ones (like Lancaster for Lancair) but there are so many I lost interest. Rule of thumb - if you see something that looks remarkable, check the N-number first.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/tsss/ss/toofat.wav