Automated Installation of ModeSMixer2 & ModeSDeco2 on RPi

@glennblum

sudo chown -R mm2:mm2 /home/pi/data

This is explanation of why above commad solved the problem

1. The modesmixer2 is run by user mm2

2. The directory /usr/share/mm2 is owned by user mm2. This directory holds all the files (binary, startup, config) and as the user mm2 owns this folder recursively, it can access, run and write all the files inside it. That is the reason when you moved db files in this folder modesmixer2 worked OK.

3. The folder /home/pi/data was created by you using command sudo mkdir and consequently was owned by root. The user mm2 could not write to db files inside it and modesmixer2 gave error message.

4. To solve the problem, I told you to issue following command, by which user mm2 took over the ownership of this folder and all the db files inside it.

2 Likes

I tried to move the files to MM2 directory (/usr/share/mm2) but I would get an error (access denied) with WinSCP. With the very little knowledge, I have with Linux, and would not know where to start.

On RPi WinSCP has access to /home/pi/ folder only. You cant directly copy files to any other folder

1. Using WinSCP copy files to /home/pi/ folder
  2. After files are coppied to Pi, move these to required folder by mv command
sudo mv /home/pi/basestation.sqb /usr/share/mm2/  

1 Like

If I moved the basestation.sqb file to the /usr/share/mm2/ directory then I would I need to give mm2 automatic rights to the sqb file?

After moving basestation.sqb to folder /usr/share/mm2, check by following command who is its owner

ls -l /usr/share/mm2/

Above command will list all the files in the directory, one line per file, and owner will be shown as either mm2 mm2 or root root.

Now I am catching on.

Let me throw this one in, does to also apply for Acarsdeco2 as well?
Ok let me explain. I want to add another directory to my “data” folder that is in Pi. this folder inside of the data folder is called logos and loaded full of airline logos to display in the silhouttes part of the program. How would I get MM2 to recognize this just like the basestation and flight route .sqb files? Plus I want to also add this to my acarsdeco2 program too? when all this extra info is added it provides a better understanding of the aircraft them selves. Also once this folder becomes owned my MM2 how can I update the files inside the folder without a access denied? I appreciate the help plus I am still learning.

You can add any number of files and folders to the directory /usr/share/mm2. Normally anthing there will be owned by mm2. However you can ensure this by issueing following command after adding files and folders

sudo chown -R mm2:mm2 /usr/share/mm2

For acrsdeco2 I have not provided any user to run it. It is therefore run by root, so there should be no problem of ownership there. Just add files and folders you want, and it should be OK.

1 Like

Now AD2 displays more information on the left side. As per the pictures, I really don’t care too much. The only part is getting mm2 to recognize my logos folder in /home/pi/data/logos

For this folder to be used by modesmixer2, gives its ownership to the user which runs modesmixer2.

In case of installation by my script, this user is mm2. Therefore you have to issue following command to take over ownership of parent folder data.

The argument -R makes the ownership of folder data recurssive, i.e. all files, sub-folders, and files in sub-folders are also owned by mm2.

1 Like

I wonder if ModeSmixer2 would except a in connect of data from UAT side of Piaware?

This is not feasible. Please see @obj and @sergsero comments in following thread:

Feed 1090ES + 978UAT to Different Sites

1 Like

Today i’ve tried to install the newer version of ModesMixer2 on my Raspberry 4 with DietPi installed in 64-bit

So far the installation went through and i edited the config file accordingly.
However whenever i try to start the service, it gives me this error:

inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) can't resolve host 192.168.2.109 Service not found

The IP address including the port points to my Jetvision device and it’s correct for sure.
On the other Raspberry with Raspberry OS “Bullseye” the exact same configuration works without issues.

This is how it looks on my other Pi:

inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) connected
inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) BEAST data stream detected

The device is pingable using the IP address from that DietPI device.

Any ideas?

(1) Can you please provide full name of the modesmixer’s .tgz file? (check inside folder /usr/share/mm2/)

(2) Exactly which automated install script you used?

I was using the Raspberry 64bit script from your Github repository (Option 2)

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/mm2/master/install-mm2-64bit.sh)"

I will try it again with a fresh installation of Raspberry OS 64-bit. I would assume it is something with DietPi

Update:

Tested on a fresh Raspi OS 64bit and it works:

ModeSMixer2 v.20210228 RPI_x64
inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) connecting 192.168.2.109:10003
inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) connected
inConnectId(192.168.2.109:10003:ADSB) BEAST data stream detected

So the error was coming from the DietPi instance. No desire to search for the error :wink:

This is what i mean with “newer version”:

Great. For me also the 64-bit ModeSMixer2 works OK on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye.

I just now finished writing latest 64-bit DietPi and installed modesmixer2 with the script you mentioned in your post. It gives same error as you mentioned

1 Like

Found solution of this issue by Sergsero (author of ModeSMixer2) in his June 2020 post in Radarspotting dot com forum

2 Likes

Thanks for checking it.

I really love DietPi for it’s efficiency but this messed me up :smiley:

2 Likes

Want to test 64-bit ver of piaware 7.1, dump1090-fa 7.1 & piaware-web 7.1 on RaspberryPi OS 64bit Bullseye or DietPi 64-bit Bullseye?

Follow instructions here

2 Likes