ATC chatter feeds?

Hi all,

Just a thought…

I know there are a number of feeds for ATC radio comms online, eg

liveatc.net/search/?icao=dsa

Probably more use to members in the US, but imagine if the comms feed could be integrated - you click on an aircraft, shows usual stats and streams ATC comms!

Just sat here watching an A320 come in Doncaster, UK (DAS) - got “Cockpit view” and data enabled… rather enthralling!

Anyway, I’ll leave that here…

Thoughts?

Hmmm, maybe not in the UK - seems its illegal :frowning:

aviation.stackexchange.com/ques … -in-the-uk

Ofcom published a statement on listening to airband which of course I can’t now find on their site, but on PPrune they quote “You can only listen to other services if you have the permission of the sender. The air show is a good example where the control tower frequencies are publicised and that would be considered permission.”

Arguably all ATC frequencies are ‘published’ and the gist of their statement was that they appreciated that those studying for a PPL find it useful to listed to ATC and that there are many enthusiasts who would like to, so it was unlikely that action would be taken against someone simply listening but not passing on or acting on the information. Frankly their enforcement teams are so under-resourced that they struggle to investigate interference to licenced services let alone keep up in the cat-and-mouse game with pirate broadcasters or jammers on amateur or PMR services so the only way to attract their attention would be to stick your head above the parapet by, for instance, setting up and publicising an internet feed.

There’s a whole different slew of Ofcom legislation when it comes to gatewaying between different media, so it’s unlikely that an internet feed would be permitted.