App for Palm WebOS or Mobile Website

Are any plans for a app for Palm WebOS in the future or a mobile website for FlightAware? The web browser does okay showing the regular FlightAware, but there are a few pages that I get an error message on. I think an app or some sort of a mobile site would be great.

What is the error message?

Are you getting a mobile version of the site when you visit flightaware.com on your phone?

If I go to the “My FlightAware” page for example, it says “Your browser does not support vector rendering. Currently supported renderers are: SVG VML Canvas” with a button to say OK. The browser really slows down loading the page up to the error message. I can press OK and it finishes loading the page without much trouble. I think it may have used to do it on the airport tracking pages as well, but it isn’t doing it anymore.

I do not get a mobile version of FlightAware when I go to flightaware.com, and I actually get the error message again.

Hi,

I get the same error message using the Droid OS (I’ve tried multiple web browsers, all with the same message). This error occurs using the non-mobile version of the site. With either the mobile or non-mobile versions, I can track individual flights on the map. But if I go to “view airport activity”, there’s no real function. Using the mobile version, I get a map, but it only gives info on certain flights, and none are clickable, and I can’t zoom in to try to “declutter” the map. If I use the non-mobile version, the map is blank.

I’d like to be able to get more info on flights overhead. Any advice?

Thanks!

Mobile website works fine on my Evo. I remember getting that error message on some sections, but I can’t remember which ones. I will update this post if I remember. After I press OK, the page loaded fine. As far as I can tell, there is no way to zoom in on the map. It functions fine on my phone. I can see all of the flights, but only some show info (if all of them showed info there would not be enough room.) And yes, the map is blank on the full version of the website.

What is the address of the mobile site? I’ve never really been able to find it to even try it.

Hi avenger, yep, I have the evo also. Maybe I should clarify, but the website works fine as far as I can tell except for the airport activity map. Thanks for confirming the issue on your end as well.

Can you post or email me the contents of flightaware.com/fix from your phone?
On my Blackberry I get the mobile version of both the homepage and the my flightaware page. The mobile version of my flightaware has a static map that doesn’t require SVG VML Canvas.

Correct, the non-mobile version is not suitable for limited devices.

Most mobile devices don’t support the technology we use for the fancy maps so we send you the old static maps instead.

It looks like it is the same as the regular site.

mduell,

Thank you for the response. I pretty much figured that this issue was less of an error and more of an incompatibility, but was hoping there was a work around.

Are there any discussions over there about an app for the Droid OS?

Lastly, just wondering if it would be possible to make the airport activity map zoomable on the mobile version to be able to single out specific areas (and hopefully getting the flight info for more flights in the process). I realize that you may not have that info or knowledge, but just thought I’d ask. Again, thanks for your response.

And eric, on my phone, there is an option to click between the mobile and non-mobile versions of the site at the bottom of the page. Not sure if this will help you or not.

Ben

I’m not an expert or anything (far from it) but I think (again, not an expert) it would be difficult to make the map zoomable. The reason I say that is because I think it would be hard to tell whether you want to zoom in on the map or the website itself. Maybe you could make a separate page for the map like on the full website? Or maybe all of the stuff I said is completely wrong because I have no idea what I am talking about.

Zabbko-I don’t think I have an option to go to the mobile site.

TheVetteAvenger- Sometimes I look at traffic maps which use a version of Google maps in a web page. I’ve found that I can’t zoom by normal methods like on a PC, but I can tap on the buttons just inside the left side of the map to zoom in and out. It doesn’t work great, but it is an option for mobile phones.

For anyone interested, this is a portion of the FlightAware diagnostics from my phone. It looks like my phone is not recognized as being a mobile phone, I have no idea if that is the problem or what is causing it. (I left out some of the stuff I don’t want the whole world to see…)

Your browser is Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.1.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1
You are not using a mobile device

You can accept cookies from FlightAware

Your javascript is working fine.

Oh I’m sure if it could be easily done it would have been done already, but I was thinking more of the + & - on the map for zoom, and arrows to move around. But I suspect that each time you reloaded the page, it would reset, and you’d have to move it around again.

I actually already tried opening up the map separately. It didn’t like it. :slight_smile:

I wonder if the new Firefox browser out later this year will be able to handle the non-mobile version of the maps.

eric, I’ve never used a blackberry, but are there other browsers you could try?

What is this FireFox browser you speak of? Now I’m intrigued. Is it for Android?
Edit: corrected some not so nice typos.

I’m actually using the standard browser on my phone. I have no idea why it says “Mozilla” and also “Safari”. I’ll have to look around for another browser for my phone and see if that does anything.

I’ve looked at the Firefox mobile, but it is only for a couple of Nokia phones right now and Android in the future. No plans for iPhone, Blackberry or Pre. I’d like to try Firefox, but can’t do it right now.

I’m not sure about on a Palm but on Android I use a browse called dolphin browser. It’s free and pretty good. But like I said, not sure they have it for palm.

I checked, and it doesn’t look like there are any other browsers in the app catalog. One of the first things you learn is that Palm is left out in the cold a lot in the app world.

Apparently, you can download the “pre-alpha” build to your Android, with spotty success. I’m a little skeptical of programs that early on, so I’ll just wait it out, at least until the beta version. So far it’s been getting a decent amount of hype, but its difficult to find a lot of info on it, probably because it’s so early in the build. Last I heard was that it was due late this year. Here’s a so-called early review:

pcworld.com/article/195180/f … _tour.html

And if you decide to download it (via your computer) and install it on your phone, beware that I’ve heard recently that a lot of their nightly (yes, nightly) build releases are going to be a bit shaky for the next couple of weeks. Not sure what they’re trying to figure out over there.

We’re considering other mobile platforms as we see how the new app for iPhone does.

It’s possible, but it’s a lot of work and the devices are getting better all the time. Safari on an iPhone 4 or iPad can handle the code we’re using now, although you have to use the controls in the upper left rather than swiping/pinching and tapping on planes didn’t work the last time I tried.

Thanks, we didn’t have webOS on our list of mobile browsers. We had Palm, but I guess they dropped the branding. Your Pre should be detected as a mobile client now.

None of the BB browsers are good enough for the desktop maps.

Only for Nokia N900 at the moment: mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/

My Pre is recognized as a mobile device now and I’m getting the mobile site. Works a lot better than the full version, so thanks!