ANNOUNCE PiAware 1.15

The PiAware 1.15 Debian package and SD card image are now available.

You can follow the upgrade instructions at flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/upgrade.

Afterwards do a

sudo /etc/init.d/piaware restart

and look at /tmp/piaware.out and it should be good. We tested this one a good bit plus the scope of changes is fairly narrow. It’s been up on the site for a couple days and reports have been good so far, too.

There’s an alternate approach with an SD card image that has everything preinstalled. The instructions for doing things that way can be found here piaware.flightcdn.com/raspbian-p … -1.img.zip

The big thing is that piaware will attempt to restart dump1090 if it doesn’t get any messages for an hour. This should have a big impact on reliability because it addresses the stalling problem that some people have been experiencing. More detailed release notes including prior versions can be found at github.com/flightaware/piaware/ … ease-Notes

dump1090 has gotten some nice updates as well. If you’ve built dump1090 yourself then you should probably update it (do a “git pull” in your dump1090 or dump1090_mr directory and follow github.com/flightaware/dump1090 … l-dump1090 or something like it. The 1.15 image has the latest version.

If you’re running the image and you want to upgrade then you can download the new image and prepare another SD card (or recycle your existing one) or go the manual route.

[UPDATE - changed hyperlink for SD card image build instructions to the correct flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build]
[UPDATE 2 - added note that the 1.15 SD image download address is piaware.flightcdn.com/raspbian-p … -1.img.zip]

got this while unpacking. i skipped one revision before upgrading to 1.15

root@raspberrypi:~# dpkg -i piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb
(Reading database … 71274 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace piaware 1.12 (using piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb) …
Unpacking replacement piaware …
/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.14: undefined symbol: Perl_re_intuit_start
dpkg: warning: subprocess old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead …
/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.14: undefined symbol: Perl_re_intuit_start
dpkg: error processing piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb (–install):
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb

This looks like your version of the Perl language got corrupted somehow. Perl is used by the installer so now the installer is broken. About for sure if you just type “perl” from the command line it’ll get this error and fail to start.

The problem is that you probably can’t upgrade your way out of the problem because dpkg requires perl!

I think you’re going to have to reinstall. If there are files on there that you need to get that you haven’t backed up then you’ll need to mount them from a computer that can understand ext4 filesystems.

There is also a possibility of SD card corruption. You might look in /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog and see any sort of mmc disk block read or write failure messages. You might need or want to use the SD formatter utility to reinitialize the low level format of the SD card before reinstalling.

To recover any files off of the SD card, from a Raspberry Pi if you boot Raspbian, you can put your SD card into a USB SD card reader and the system should see /dev/sda1 (the FAT32 partition on the card) and /dev/sda2 (the ext4 partition on the card). You can mount the SD card by doing a “sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt” and it should work, then you can poke around your card as subdirectories of /mnt. If mount complains that the filesystem is dirty you can do a “sudo fsck /dev/sda2” and it can probably fix anything wrong with the structure of ext4 on the card.

perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.14: undefined symbol: Perl_re_intuit_start

sigh. was really hoping to not have to access the rpi after leaving it there. guess i’ll just let 1.12 run until i can find time to redo it all =/

is it ok to ignore the following?

piaware depends on raspi-copies-and-fills

i use it on cubietruck… not on raspi and it works fine…

That should be safe. It isn’t a strict requirement. After doing the “dpkg -i” on the piaware .deb file a “sudo apt-get install -fy” should install any missing dependencies, the same as in step 2 of flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install.

managed to get the perl stuff to go away with a help of a friend, now this stuff shows up

root@raspberrypi:~# dpkg -i piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb
(Reading database ... 71274 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace piaware 1.12 (using piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement piaware ...
insserv: No such file or directoryupdate-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: warning: subprocess old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
insserv: No such file or directoryupdate-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb (--install):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb

FWIW, I just upgraded to 1.15 and it was easy as PI (get it… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Went to: flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/upgrade
and four simple commands later I was back up as running.

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i piaware_1.15-1_armhf.deb

sudo apt-get install -fy

sudo /etc/init.d/piaware restart

Great job! Thanks! :exclamation: