Air Force One ADS-B

Yes, I know Flightaware doe not track military aircraft.

I have my own setup here at my house. And am a feeder to Flightaware. And I use planeplotter as well.

I used to be able to track Air Force One. Using the code AF1 in the filter area.

Recently the President did a speech in the area.
And for some reason my alerts did not go off.

Yes, I know FA does not track military aircraft. I use my own hardware here, and I do see military aircraft. But for some reason I wasn’t able to see Air Force One.

I have not changed anything on my setup.

I know others have asked similar questions, but they were directed at the FA website.
My question is for us ADS-B users.

Thanks.

1 Like

Maybe they turned off the transponder. Then you will also not get it unfiltered

Recently no longer using the callsign AF1 on ADS-B.
Also might only be on MLAT instead of ADS-B recently, not sure.

In certain cases a plane can fly under a waiver from ADS-B requirements.
And more, in my area I can’t see mission military aircrafts (and there are lots of them), only training flights. They might use military mode 5 encrypted.

I see this from time to time. Sometimes US Air Force helicopters are passing my receiver very close on their way to/from Wiesbaden Air Field

But some times they are visible or not on my screen, like this one, just minutes ago:

Try also feeding ADSBexchange - when you click on the U button it filters the aircraft down to military only …

1 Like

Rude, self praising… See certain Reddit comments about FlightAware.
I would not recommend feeding them any data.

3 Likes

Here’s AirForce 1 (82-8000), the backup (92-9000), and Melania (EXEC1F) flying out of Andrews AFB as shown on ADSBExchange (Also shows on my feeder the same). Note no “AF1” on 82-8000. MLAT only. Do not see it on FA or FR24. Listed as “BLOCKED” on RB24. So if it’s not transmitting AF1 don’t believe that would set off an alert?? More knowledgeable persons could confirm or deny!

1 Like

I also like to feed ADSBexchange in addition to FA because ADSBx will show ground traffic as planes taxi to takeoff or after landing (if the airport has a nearby ADS-B receiver).

One of my receivers is close to a small airport but not far from a Naval Air Base so I see training flights during the week and then civilian aircraft in and out of the small airport on the weekends.

2 Likes

I am wondering if I put those in as registrations, if it will do the alerts?
Also, do you happen to know if I would do the underscore at the beginning, for the alerts?

I would add that certain aircraft (from any country) are allowed with permission to be in visible because of the obvious

I believe their is some amount of filtering for military or blocked even on the local dump1090-fa interface so that’s also why you might not see it. If your interested in AF1/VC25s and the C32s I have a Twitter bot for them https://twitter.com/AirForceTrack

Nope. Local dump1090-fa will show everything that you receive locally.

No.

you will be able to view all aircraft which are caught by your receiver as long as the aircraft have ADS-B enabled.
Military staff is disabling the transponder from time to time.

At the airport near me (2 miles) the President and VP airplanes do lots of touch-and-go training. Most of the time I don’t see them on my local antenna when they are doing that training (even when I can hear them overhead).
Also a bit more far away (10, 20 and 30 miles) there are three military airfields with lots of F18/F22 planes flying around. I never ever saw any of them on my antenna, but I see them sometimes roaring above highway.
I see some of their C130’s, weather radars, helicopters, or similar. But even then, they are from MLAT.

I am living close to Ramstein Air Base. The area is known for lots of military flights and excercises.

Most of the time i am getting them on ADS-B

In Europe is different. They make US military aircrafts turn on their transponders all the time.

The two AF1 747s often enough have ModeS on over the CONUS …
But pretty sure you don’t get their position in the MLAT results from FA.

A year ago they also had ADS-B for a while but seems they turned that off again.
Not sure what the deal is with that.

Different president?

Reminds me of the Movie named “Air Force One”