Aerobatics

Does anyone know anything about aerobatics training? I think I would like to start, but not sure of a couple of things.

1. Is it best to learn basic aerobatics in something like a Citabria or Super Decathalon, or can I go right into flying a Pitts or an Extra? I’m sure that technically I could do either but I know someone who has done it probably can make a recommendation.
  2. I know aerobatics flying requires the use of a parachute. Does one need to take up skydiving to be a safe aerobatic pilot? I don’t think my instincts would allow me to bail out of an airplane in-flight without some prior experience jumping from a perfectly good airplane (still boggles my mind that people do that, although I’d like to try it).

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a good place to take some lessons in Florida (north or south), that would be nice too.

Thanks,

Jake

just learn like I did, get a job with flight express have Memphis center vector you threw a lvl 5 thunderstorm.
You’ll learn or die and you don’t need that pesky parachute.

You really went through that??? :astonished: :open_mouth:

I certainly hope you made an inquiry with the facility about the services you received.

jakaro…you might wanna first try out in a 152 aerobat. Just to make sure you REALLY wanna go for it. :laughing:

Hey Flyboy…didnt know you flew for FLEX. We have one twice a day here. Flying a 210. I’ve been contemplating getting commercial and possibly flying for them. Seems like a laid back gig at this point in my life. What do they do? Bank checks? The guy lands from ASG…taxiis to the fbo, picks up a bag and turns right around and heads to SGF. And then on to CPS. Milk runs. Your thoughts please.

Didn’t need to I used the F-word on the radio and let the controler have it. I was upside down in a cloud and lost 2k in ALT. The controller had the balls to be rash and ask why I was descending.
When I landed at MEM I threw-up (not joking). That was my second near death exp in less then 2 months.

It is easy work for low pay. They will take advantage of you if you let them, which a lot of pilots do cause it’s their first job.
My buddy that fly’s for an Air Ambulance company in Georgia flew that route we use to meet in CPS.
Other then the afternoon TS that’s not a bad run.

Was this embeddded where you couldn’t see it?

If Radar identified where you knew it was level 5 why not use the “unable due to buildup” when given the vector?

Unable would have come out my lips before I even got close to it but then I probably wouldn’t have even left the ground knowing T’storms are in the forecast for my recreational type of flying. :smiley:

Once I got to use the word “immediate” with Cleveland center when I had a line of showers and small topped T’storms so I could get lower so I could navigate between the rainshafts. I wasn’t about to penetrate those clouds since I was VMC. I was impressed with the response from center and how the radio chatter became quiet so the controller could address what I needed.

Before using immediate, I kept asking for lower and center kept staying standby. About 10 miles before the clouds, to give me a reasonable amount of time for descent, I used that word immediate.

Good Info to keep in my back pocket. :wink:

I’ve had a ride in a Super Decath and a Pitts. I liked the Pitts better - the bubble canopy gave better overall vision. The drawback to the bubble canopy is that there is no shade, so it’s like an oven in the summertime.

If you have your choice, try a ride in each and see which one you like best.

The parachute is only required for the passenger, and no formal training is required other than “if the shit hits the fan, jump out and pull this thing here.”

Allen they were embedded. I had no radar on board and I asked Memphis for help around the weather do to lack of radar

What were you flying?

C210

I wil say this, a lot of aerobatic airplanes don’t have seat cushions, the parachute is the cushion. I would always wear a chute in a Pitts or other performance bi-plane. They always say the aircraft comes from the factory with a brick. If the engine quits you toss the brick out and that is where the airplane will land. I haven’t heard of many successful dead stick landings in these aircraft.