ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

I did the reinstall on a wide putty terminal ant it went from start to finish with out any problems and pi aware is working now thanks to all that have contributed to getting this script together

Cough!

My wife shut off the wimax router so piaware lost it’s internet connection. I turned the router back on but piaware stats indicated that the pi was not feeding, (waited 15 minutes). Checked dump1090gmap which was running fine.

Checked log which showed “got EOF from multilateration client”

Tried to ssl in to pi but connection was rejected. Checked Pi upstairs which was now completely off. No lights. Powered off and on but pi did not boot up.

Looks like I’ll be testing the script again. I’ll also be looking at feeding from something a bit more stable than the pi.

Phill

Got bored at work, fired up a Lubuntu VM and ran the current scripts.
System:

~/adsb-feeder$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 15.10
Release:        15.10
Codename:       wily

Installed dump1090, piaware and graphs; all went fine. The message “jessie’s c_rehash doesn’t like multiple certificates per file” appears in the context below but does not seem to cause any issues:

Building the PiAware package...

Retrieving 6a883f428912357c252654cb811499e58db87d3a from https://github.com/flightaware/piaware.git
Cloning into './package/piaware'...
remote: Counting objects: 1523, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (28/28), done.
remote: Total 1523 (delta 12), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 1495
Receiving objects: 100% (1523/1523), 383.55 KiB | 179.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1055/1055), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
6a883f4 jessie's c_rehash doesn't like multiple certificates per file, split them out.
Retrieving 460debe4d350f06f9c7e54e5400992cac4f1d328 from https://github.com/flightaware/tcllauncher.git
Cloning into './package/tcllauncher'...
remote: Counting objects: 426, done.
remote: Total 426 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 426
Receiving objects: 100% (426/426), 245.63 KiB | 168.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (234/234), done.

(snip)

Installing the PiAware package...

Selecting previously unselected package piaware.
(Reading database ... 154813 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../piaware_2.1-5_i386.deb ...
Unpacking piaware (2.1-5) ...
Setting up piaware (2.1-5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.4-1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (225-1ubuntu9) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.21-0ubuntu4) ...

Please supply your FlightAware login in order to claim this device.
After supplying your login PiAware will ask you to enter your password for verification.

Your FlightAware Login:

Remapping MLAT results to use port 30004... [OK]

Restarting PiAware to ensure all changes are applied...

ok ] Restarting piaware (via systemctl): piaware.service.

Installation and configuration of PiAware is now complete.
Please look over the output generated to be sure no errors were encountered.

Just ran the latest install using scripts.

Pi B+ and Jessie as usual. New Kingston 16Gb class 10 sd card.

Notes:

Yellow messages:
6a883f4 jessie’s c_rehash doesn’t like multiple certificates per file, split them out.
f68b8e3 v0.2.4
460debe Update README.md
497f88f Don’t match faup1090 tags when generating a version string from git tags

Observations:
Despite multiple certificate warning I did not have to split the .pem, it was already done.
Install did not stop to allow me to enter user name. ( I would have entered blank anyway).
Did** not** have to run sudo piaware-config -mlatResultsFormat “beast,connect,localhost:30004”

Did have to run sudo reboot to clear [2016-01-08 16:01 CET] no ADS-B data program seen listening on port 30005 for 62 seconds, next check in 60s

All in all an easy install! Thanks.

Phill

I few changes need to be made to the script in order to properly pull a specific branch from a git repository. I should have this done shortly afterwards the fix obj put in place to fix this issue will be available.

I think those are just the commit messages that are spit out by sensible-build.sh. It has the git log -1 --oneline command in there so those are always going to show if you rely on sensible-build.sh for piaware.

Yes, that’s exactly what they are. sensible-build does this so you know what you’re building.

Just finished up testing out the cleanup branch which now clones then switches to the commit with the “Git Pager Fix” for piaware_builder. Other than that any other changes are basically behind the scenes items. The cleanup branch in it’s current form has been merged into the master branch. There is more cleanup to do but I just wanted to get this put out there for people to use.

UPDATE:

Since the last reported merge I committed a couple more changes to the master branch. These changes include the following items.

• The dump1090-mutability install script now asks user for the latitude and longitude of the feeder.
• Dump1090-mutability is now set to listen for BEAST input on port 30104.
• PiAware is no longer configured to send MLAT data over port 30001.

The latitude/longitude addition should clear up the max range graph issue when these settings are not set.
As per an earlier discussion on this thread I switched around where MLAT data is sent from PiAware to dump1090-mutability.

Things are looking pretty solid on all my test installs. Great work!

Everything is running fine. I noticed ADSB Exchange has no coverage over me so thought I would add it.

Ran the Upgrade installed packages to add the feeder.

Install failed:

chmod: cannot access ‘/home/pi/adsb-feeder/bash**/bash**/feeders/adsbexchange.sh’: No such file or directory
./install.sh: line 110: /home/pi/adsb-feeder/bash/feeders/adsbexchange.sh: Permission denied

This failure has had NO detrimental effect on previously installed programs.

I’ll try to manually CHMOD and run.

Phill

I could not manually install.

CHMOD worked and passed me on to the install package, but…

http://www.adsbexchange.com/how-to-feed/
https://github.com/flightaware/piaware

Press enter to continue...

Installing packages needed to build and fulfill dependencies...

./adsbexchange.sh: line 64: CheckPackage: command not found

Configuring PiAware if it is installed...
Adding the ADS-B Exchange feed to PiAware's configuration...
Restarting PiAware so new configuration takes effect...

invoking: /etc/init.d/piaware restart
 ok ] Restarting piaware (via systemctl): piaware.service.

Setting permissions on adsbexchange-maint.sh...

chmod: cannot access ‘/home/pi/adsb-feeder/bash/feeders/adsbexchange/adsbexchange-maint.sh’: No such file or directory
Adding startup line to rc.local...

Executing adsbexchange-maint.sh...

Configuration of the ADS-B Exchange feed is now complete.
Please look over the output generated to be sure no errors were encountered.

Press enter to continue...sudo: /home/pi/adsb-feeder/bash/feeders/adsbexchange/adsbexchange-maint.sh: command not found

Phill

EDIT

Ran:

git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-exchange.git
cd adsb-exchange
chmod +x setup.sh
sudo ./setup.sh

“Radar hole” appears to be filled but no idea whether it is actually my feeder doing it. Nor whether some housekeeping is in order. Phill :bulb:

Disregard, some tracks commence at my radio horizon so confirms I’m feeding OK. :smiley:

Hello,
I am all of the sudden missing various graphs on performance graphs page. Any help will be welcomed.

http://i.imgur.com/jZpWtPb.png?1

When I run the make-collectd-graphs.sh command I get the following error

http://i.imgur.com/GiuB6GZ.png?1

Missed a path during cleanup apparently did not pay attention to the ADS-B Exchange portion during testing…
Please run the following command to fix your installation:

chmod /home/pi/adsb-feeder/build/feeders/adsbexchange/adsbexchange-maint.sh

More than likely this is a problem I am working to ry and resolve where dump1090-mutability does not start after the package is installed. A reboot is apparently required in order to get it to go after installation. report.php?f=21&p=186342 is a possible fix posted by mgunther I am going to attempt to add here shortly.

I take it by suddenly missing that the graphs were working previously. I am wondering if this is a case of file corruption. Could you back up the files reported as not being RRD files restart collectd and report back if you still encounter these errors.

Backup and restart:

mkdir ~/rrd-backups
sudo /etc/init.d/collectd stop
sudo cp /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_aircraft-recent.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo cp /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_cpu-demod.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo cp /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo cp /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_messages-local_accepted.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo /etc/init.d/collectd start
... wait a few minutes ...
sudo ./make-collectd-graphs.sh 1h

Restore commands if this did not solve anything:

sudo cp ~/rrd-backups/dump1090_aircraft-recent.rrd /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/
sudo cp ~/rrd-backups/dump1090_cpu-demod.rrd /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/
sudo cp ~/rrd-backups/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/
sudo cp ~/rrd-backups/dump1090_messages-local_accepted.rrd /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/

I was able to install Raspbian Jessie Lite on a Pi and use the scripts from the first post without any issues. Great work.

After doing the steps suggested I still get the same errors. :frowning: Anything else that can be done?

You know what? If you ran the commands I gave verbatim that might be a problem. I told you to copy the files not move them so it did nothing to help… Unless you deleted or moved the existing rrd files try the following commands.

mkdir ~/rrd-backups
sudo mv /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_aircraft-recent.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo mv /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_cpu-demod.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo mv /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd ~/rrd-backups
sudo mv /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost/dump1090_messages-local_accepted.rrd ~/rrd-backups
... wait a few minutes ...
sudo ./make-collectd-graphs.sh 1h

Basically I want to know if the files come back and are read properly once they are replaced by new ones.

If this did/didn’t work then…
Did you change the hostname of the computer or change any hostname settings in /etc/collectd/collectd.conf?

@jprochazka

Could you please consider modify your scripts so the ADS-B Signal Level collectd graph will have the “noise level” line as described in post178497.html#p178497 ?

I have put together a version of the current graph containing the requested “noise level”.
adsbreceiver.net/graphs/dump … al-24h.png

In order to gather data for this graph dump1090-mutability needs to be started with an additional argument namely “–measure-noise”. I am not sure if this will cause any impact to system performance or not being it is something turned off by default but I have not seen much of a difference yet on the feeder running with the argument added yet.

Just so it is made clear to everyone this is not “noise” per say…

post178589.html#p178589

Unless anyone objects to the addition look for it to be added shortly.

I need to change the scripts to add the additional dump1090-mutability start up argument and see where the thing bottoms out when little or no traffic is present on my system in order to try and shrink the height of the graph down a little more if possible.

UPDATE:
For those interested the branch named “noise” contains an untested implementation of this feature request.
github.com/jprochazka/adsb-feeder/tree/noise

Off topic, but: If this is your receiver then you might achieve higher message rates and lower CPU by lowering the dump1090 gain setting. See my findings here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/post186711.html#p186711

Thanks for the advice I recently added a FlightAware antenna but sadly have not yet found the time to mess with the setting to adjust them to the better antenna. I got a new amp as well I have been meaning to try out. Hoping to get around to this this weekend but its so damn cold outside now and I am not yet acclimated to it! Also nice write up might have to pull the trigger on one of those Nevis preamp/filters once I get a taller mast in place my line of sight is obstructed quite a bit by two trees and neighboring houses with only a 20 footer.