ADS-B receiver in same room as 100w HF and 80w VHF radios

Is there any danger to blowing out the front end of my FlightAware Pro receiver by having it in my Han Shack? The antenna is in the window for now and relatively close to my 100w HF and 80w VHF transceivers. I know there is a 1090mHz bandpass filter built in but am concerned about it being that close, Eventually I want to put an antenna outside and bring it in through my multi-port passthru panel so the Pi being in the same room would be a plus.

I have 2 ads-b antennas on my tower.
They are located slightly below a diamond 2m/6m/70cm antenna, and only a few feet above a carolina windom off center fed hf antenna. Have not had any issues over my several years of use.

1 Like

Great info! Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

My entire feeder (Pi, dongle, LNA) is almost at the top of my mast with the coax running alongside the PoE. The run of coax to the 40m segment of my hexbeam runs directly alongside the coax to the ADS-B aerial.

400W on all HF bands doesn’t cause any issues. I can also run 100W on 2m and 75W on 70cms to an aerial that’s relatively close with no issues.

However - if you have an Uputronics LNA, be prepared for the merest sniff of RF on VHF/UHF to totally flatten it.

1 Like

No LNA, just using a 2m/440 antenna (that seems to work relatively well) right now until I can get a better one put up. Fashioned one from some LMR-400 with 4 copper wire radials and just waiting on some N-connectors to be delivered. Thanks for the heads up though, in case I decide to upgrade later. I’ve only had this up for a few days but having fun with it.

If the Pi being in the same room (shack) as the transceivers is your concern rather than your ADS-B antenna being near your VHF-UHF ham antennas, the radios themselves shouldn’t be emitting any RF energy except to their coax connectors. If your coax is radiating RF or if you have RF in the shack you have a common mode issue that you need to address as it’s a safety hazard, not to mention that less effective power is being radiated from your antenna. Here’s a fairly comprehensive guide to solving any RF interference or noise problems you may have and how to keep your RF out of other nearby devices):

http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf.

Not sure if you are concerned about the ADS receiver being close to an HF transmitter, the ADS antenna being close to an HF antenna or both. I have had SDR receivers (I know, redundant term) within inches (centimeters?) of my Kenwood TS-590 and did not have problems. Even had a TV antenna within feet of of my HF dipole and did not have problems when running 100W. If you have excessive common-mode currents on your feedlines, then you probably would have problems but should be noticing them already.

My ADS antenna is probably in the near-field of my HF dipole, especially on the lower bands. But there are many multiples between 40 meters and 1090 MHz so a decent ADS front-end should be OK. I hope to move my ADS to the top of the pole that supports my inverted-V and am not worried about issues there.

As long as you are not experiencing common-mode current problems, you should be OK.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.