Adding GPS data to Skyview

Hello,
I recently added a GPS to my Raspberry Pi running PIAWARE. I’d like to have the location and maybe other data displayed on the Skyview webpage. I’m thinking of taking the setup mobile and it’d be great to have that info available in one place.

Take a look at the alternative interface tar1090, provided by @wiedehopf.
There you can configure the columns to display the lat/long position.

1 Like

Not what was asked for :confused:

The current device location is what he wants to display from the GPS.

tar1090 won’t display that.

Oh, yes… sorry, already in Friday mood :slight_smile:

If you can get gpsd set up and working with your GPS receiver, you should be able to use it to set your location which should in theory set your SkyAware location . There’s a use-gpsd piaware config option to enable it.

If you see any issues getting that working, let us know and we can take a look.

Is the GPSD support in SkyAware capable of accessing a GPSD server on another machine which is reachable over the network? I have a gpsd running on a server in my van which supplies location info to a mapping program on a laptop. It would be nice to run SkyAware and have it use the same location information and not have to have a locally attached gps. BTW, the gpsd server also talks to ntp making ntp an independent time server as well.

So i’ve added experimental GPSD support to readsb / tar1090 (only in that combination).
(Raspbian Lite: ADS B receiver · wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki · GitHub)

This needs to be added to the readsb configuration:

--net-connector localhost,2947,gpsd_in

You can press H on the tar1090 map and it will follow the changing location automatically.
The dot and rings will be updated independently of pressing H.

3 Likes

Thank you! Your GPSD support works great!

1 Like

I’m glad there are people in the world like you wiedehopf. Thank you for all your time and effort. How do I buy you a beer?