FlightAware Discussions

Adding FR24

I wish I had read the guide before reading that FR24 instruction. I’ll look for auto-update component. (Appreciate a pointer if you know where it is.) Logging is a little strange in that I can’t see what info helps me as an operator. Just reduced logging to 0.

Just follow the procedure, it removes the fr24 package completely (purge) and then only the binaries are copied over and a custom service file is used.

This comes with the issue you can’t apt remove or purge it but with the upside you don’t get all the baggage :wink:
And besides a few extra bytes lying around disabling the service is just as good as apt remove in that case.

It’s been a few years now, but last time I tried it out out of the box FA installed the Raspbian GUI and loaded it automatically on boot. Just unnecessary and used too many resources for a device intended to be headless. And yes, I played around with disabling the GUI and removing packages, but that shouldn’t have been necessary and typically ended up in causing other issues I didn’t feel like spending a lot of time on. I guess I’m trying to say it didn’t adapt well to experimentation haha. I mean, I completely appreciate the need to develop for the lowest common denominator and god knows I have to do my own share of hand-holding for the AOL crowd on a daily basis so I realize why it was done that way. And that’s another reason I love this platform…there’s options for nearly everyone out there.

Current images do not include a GUI (haven’t done for a few years - I think the last release including GUI packages would have been back in 2016 or so) - as I mentioned they’re now based on Raspbian Lite (basic packages only, no X, targeted at headless installs, etc)

Try the current image and see what you think?

Anyway to get FR24 onto x86? I am testing this Debian image that zenonp built. FR24 site only speaks of Pi distributions, it seems.

Installing fr24feed Using debian package for x86_64 machines:
"fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb"

sudo apt install libc6 libstdc++6  

wget https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/linux_x86_64_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb    

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb  

# Signup and configure receiver
sudo fr24feed --signup   

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed   

fr24feed-status  

1 Like
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libstdc++-8-doc : Conflicts: libstdc++-7-doc but 7.4.0-6 is to be installed
 libstdc++6-8-dbg : Conflicts: libstdc++6-7-dbg but 7.4.0-6 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This is a bit of surprise since we both have zenonp’s image, so packages should be the same down to version.

I have successfully tested fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb on:

(1) Debian 10.6 amd64 (Buster) on my 64-bit machine

(2) Debian Buster with Raspberry Pi Desktop on my 64-bit machine

To shorten my path, I just skipped libc6 and libstdc++6 - I think zenonp’s image already has them. After install and signup, the new site is working.

I was clearly wrong about FR24 again. Their site navigation dims out the option you are not on - and the default is not x86 (they call it “Linux”), hence that’s the dim one.

My image is Debian 10.6 stable.
Seems @zenonp’s image is either testing or unstable/sid

Not only that they (delibrately?) made it hard to find it, but they never mentioned what dependencies need to be installed for each package. I found all the dependency packages by this way:

abcd@debian10:~$ dpkg -I fr24feed_1.0.25-3_amd64.deb | grep Depends

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.11.3-4), libstdc++6 (>=4.4.5-8), bash(>=1.0.0)
1 Like