Add a drone to map

Is it possible to tag and track my drone on this platform? I want to add the drone heading, velocity, altitude and lat/lon like you would a helicopter.

Which platform specifically? How does your drone provide telemetry?

I see you’re a new member…welcome!

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no.

This “platform” (FlightAware) is for tracking aircraft equipped with ADS-B telemetry systems operating on 1090 MHz or 978 MHz. Some large unmanned vehicles (like the Google Loon high altitude balloons) have it, but the technology isn’t used for small drones. I say that with a caveat…I’ve seen some recent news about drones being equipped to receive ADS-B data from other aircraft - for the purposes of notifying the operator of traffic in the area. This is known as “ADS-B In.” “ADS-B Out” just isn’t in the cards for drones at this time. In fact, the FAA is looking to specifically prohibit ADS-B Out for drones (some commercial-use drones might be able to get it), but apparently the idea is that too much ADS-B radio traffic can be a bad thing.

1 Like

I want to be able to track my drone, so I will contact the manufacturer. It is an American drone, a Skydio-2. My research link is on my home page. https://www.falconphotoansoils.com

I take it you meant https://falconphotoandoils.com/ ?

ADS-B tracking won’t help you then. Only a few drones have ADS-B in (Mavic Air 2 comes to mind), but outside of some commercial tests, none that I know of have ADS-B out which is what we track. I think the FAA has some concerns that ADS-B fitted drones would saturate the bandwidth and could only be attained with special permits so far as I know.

Ha, yes. Thank you. I want to test a use case one day.

Joseph Phillips
Drone Services and Graphic Arts
Falcon Photo and Oils
706-476-322

What about localized multihops? What if the signal was dependent on a local carrier and involved less infrastructure? Spitballing.

Nice. Thank you. I think then it would bet LAANC is looking at who the best candidate is based on credentialing, performance, infrastructure, and sustainable added value to communities. I could be wrong.

Drone Remote ID

Sort of a group effort

One challenge noted with regards to harmonization efforts is getting enough international engagement in global standards bodies such as ASTM, which has developed standards for drone remote identification, operational risk assessment and more. Limited engagement during the standards formation process can result in uncertain levels of buy-in once the standard is produced, noted FAA’s Merkle.

In particular, the fundamentals of unmanned traffic management systems “really caught on globally thanks to NASA,” Merkle said, but has morphed in some areas of the world and “we’re having a hard time keeping everyone together … a challenge that will remain for a while as we see this mature.”
Blockquote