About tracking tail numbers in flightaware.com

I always been intrested in knowing if planes repeat their flights or if they do diffrerent ones. Members of flightaware told me they dont repeat flights , If I want to know where a certain plane is do not track it by flight number but by tail number. So I tried to search Tail numbers but 1 PROBLEM flightaware didnt recognize it. The truth is I tried many tail numbers in flightawre but didnt work, I really think Flight Aware cant track any. Im so looking fowrd for any information regaurding this problem. If I need to be more specific write me so and Thank you very much for your help!!! :laughing:

(I would also appreciate it more if you can write a post as                as   soon  possible so I can check this out sooner)

The airlines and other operators using call signs do not give the tail number when they file flight plans.

Some operators such as EJA use the tail number DIGITS as the flight ID. An example would be [urlhttp://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA328]EJA328. The tail number in this case would be N328QS.

When you have a question on something, please help yourself by giving examples.

Question for you: have you read the “questions/answers” section. The link is at the top right of every page in FlightAware.

The following is taken straight from the Questions/Answers:

Can FlightAware tell me the tail number of a flight operating under a company name / flight number? (Back To Top)
Not yet.

We are here just waiting to answer your questions the moment you post them. In fact, I may take tomorrow off from work so my job doesn’t interfere with me answering your questions right away. I urge others to do the same. :smiley:

ill try :open_mouth:

your nice dude

Once football season gets rolling you’ll see the same flight numbers over and over again as most airlines assign a specific flight number to each team, and it is reused throughout the season. You can look back in some of the old football threads for the numbers.

Cool, didn’t know that.

You’re getting colder…

Now where did I put that Carlos Mencia “DEE DEE DEE” sound button of mine???

what do you mean?

"The airlines and other operators using call signs do not give the tail number when they file flight plans.":Damiross

On the hard copy of a filed flight plan call sign or no call sign there is most certainly a tail number that goes with it…why wouldn’t there be?

On the hard copy of a filed flight plan call sign or no call sign there is most certainly a tail number that goes with it…why wouldn’t there be?

The FAA’s computers do not take both a callsign and a tail number – one or the other. Flightaware gets its information from the FAA, so all they get it the filed call sign.

If an airline’s dispatch software files a flight plan witha callsign and tail number, the tail number is desregarded and doesn’t make it into the NAS system.

Got ya…tks for the clear up. You know as I am now sitting here picturing our co. paper work which our crew gets…The tail number is on the paper work but not directly linked into the area where the route a/c info…are.

Damn it I need more coffee!!! :wink:

Hopefully this is a suitable thread for my simple question (so I won’t be ducking flames.) I was tracking a Tag GLEX recently and it was listed as TAG521 on FA when inbound to KDBQ from PHNL. However, when looking it up by tail N624BP, FA shows what appears to be an inactive GLF4:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N624BP

I confirmed the tail as I was able to get some shots after it arrived at KDBQ:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/killbucky/2633152986/

So, is it safe to assume that the GLF4 dumped N624BP at some point and the number was then released and picked up by Tag for the GLEX? I’ve run into this before but never bothered to ask…I searched for an answer but couldn’t find this exact issue addressed.

The aircraft is registered as N624BP, but uses the TAG call sign as it is a managed/operated aircraft by TAG. It’s the same concept as the airlines. All airliners have a registration number but are identified within the National Airspace System by their company call sign and flight number. Apparently, the last time the N624BP registration number was used in the NAS it was assigned to a GIV (GLF4)

Use the FAA register to get tail number details: registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry … rtxt=624BP

Tail numbers are routinely re-issued to new or different airframes, but the FA “history” will show what the type was on a particular past flight.

That answers my question…thanks for the replies!