Just want to see what others here think of this
I had a flight scheduled out of La Crosse, WI (LSE) at 2:35 today with connections in ORD and LAX and my final destination of SAN.
That was cancelled last night. That isnt what I have a problem withthe following is.
Early this week there were forecast for significant snow/ice in the area. As the week went on they fine tuned the forecast and by Wednesday it was a Winter Storm Warning meaning it couldnt miss us. What wasnt sure was the exact amount of ice or snow but 6-12 inches of snow with inch of ice was all very likely at that time.
On Wednesday Northwest had issued weather waivers for the entire area, allowing passengers to rebook without penalty before or after the weather was supposed to hit.
After checking aa.com and seeing a number of seats open on their seat maps for flights that would get me to SAN (I realize they are not the most accurate, but it gave me some idea that there should be seats when I saw a dozen or more). After seeing that I called American to see if I could get out ahead of the storm.
They had said at that time they had no knowledge of weather in this area that would turn bad and cancel flights.
Thursday evening I am checking to see what earlier flights are like to see if I could get out earlier on standby (figure the earlier I can get out of this area, the better in case my flight is cancelled). As I am running down the departures out of LSE I run across mine and see it is cancelled.
Call up American and the only option they have is to get me out 5:55 PM on Saturday, arriving in San Diego at 10:05 PM. That is a full 25 hours later than I was supposed to get there. Losing a day in warm, sunny SoCal doesnt have me too happy
After doing some other things I call American back last night and was able to get on a 6:00 AM flight out of RST (Rochester, MN) on Saturday, getting into San Diego at 10:20 AM.
Now in all of this I have never received an email or phone call that my flight was cancelled. I can only think that if I had waited until this morning or until closer to when I would have left for the airport (like much of the flying public would do) that I would be on a Sunday flight
- Anyone else think its odd I didnt get a call from them about the cancelled flight? Or am I expecting too much?
- Should American have issued a weather waiver on Wednesday seeing what the forecast were and that Northwest had done it for the same region? Or again, am I expecting too much? (I know, go fly NWAright?)
Bad news is I dont get to where I want to go when I wanted to get there.
Good news is that I had very nice reservation agents that were very helpful in getting me where I want to go as soon as they can get me there. Not to mention, the women I talked to last night put me in first class from ORD-SAN.