19.5cm vs 66cm 1090 Antenna

Ah, right. Yeah I did run that test before and after the new dongle and it did make a difference, but there’s still quite a lot of cell phone interference. Guess I just need to buy the extra filter and try again in couple months when it arrives.

It’s been a while, but I’ve found some ace clamps!

Something like This:
US - Amazon.com

UK - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T97TZSP/

3 Likes

Very good idea. Suggest checking your local dollar store. Mine has a good assortment of bicycle accessories. One never knows. :wink:

Looks fantastic but unfortunately about four mm to small to fit the Jetvision aerial. That’s a real shame as otherwise it would be perfect for fitting mine to the smaller pole I’m using at the top of the hexbeam.

Can this be used for fixing antenna with mast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372774374940

That might be useful if the mast/aerial diameters are the same!

In my case the aerial base is 22mm and the mast 25mm.

You can get those hydraulic pipe clamps as singles to… Premium Manufacturer of Hydraulic Port-to-Port Solutions | STAUFF

1 Like

I use mast extension clamps. About $US10 the pair in Australia.

Each mast can be from about 15mm to 50mm

or these in the UK

S.

edited for a better image

2 Likes

Stauff clamps are really good - I’d need to get the 38mm version and pad both sides out. That’s a real possibility though.

The problem with a lot of these is that the threads don’t go far enough and so you can’t use them with small poles.

Has anyone tried this 1090MHz aerial from UK?

http://antennaz.co.uk

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE
CLICK AGAIN TO SEE FULL SIZE

I’ve not tried it, but I think the choice of a BNC connector for external use to be questionable. It has limited weather resistance.

1 Like

Agreed.
This is not a perfect solution, but may help:

How-to Protect Outdoor Connectors and Cable From Ingress of Moisture (Due to Rain & Snow) and Resulting Short circuit, Corrosion, and Drop in Performance.

1 Like

Yes and no. I’m slowly moving to BNC and F, if not for all, for most of my uses. I would rather deal with weatherproofing, rather than the multiple connector types out there.

Granted that I’m not lured by ‘excellence’, only by ‘functionality’. ‘Cheap’ is beautiful. :smile:

The antenna looks pretty similar to what i bought last year from an ebay-seller in Germany.
custom made, fine tuned with an analyzer to 1090MHz, gain approx 3dB, Price was 23 Euro

The device is also using a BNC connector and it was challenging to find an adapter which fits to my SAT cable with F-connector. Finally a local shop had one in it’s box of old connectors under the rack :slight_smile:

I sealed it with that self-welding tape. It was outdoor the whole winter, after that i bought the Jetvision antenna.

Quality aside - it’s hit and miss - eBay is the place to look for these adapters. To get it much faster, at a slightly higher price, Amazon is another place to check.

You could always just fit a BNC to the coax, it’s not exactly difficult and they are available for different cable sizes. I don’t like using adapters.

At the end the shop did not charge me, so i dropped some coins into their coffee cup at the desk.

1 Like

I read this and first thought, “Why’d you ruin someone’s perfectly good cup of coffee?” !

The cup had a sticker with “Kaffeekasse” on it which is the german word for coffee fund :slight_smile:

Once the guy saw that, he appeared on the parking lot just where i wanted to move home again and gave me a second one with the words “in case you need a spare part”

1 Like