1090/978 Install Help

There’s a few things. This will be more technical and involved than you are hoping!

1. The Pro Stick Plus blue FA stick attempts to filter out everything except 1090MHz signals basically. It won’t work for UAT/978MHZ.
  2. Thus you’ll want 978MHz receiver like the orange FA Pro stick. See here: https://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/
  3. Both sticks will need to be plugged into your Pi USB ports.
  4. Your post reads like you will use one antenna for both, or two antennas? Most of us use a different antenna for 1090MHz and 978MHz, but you might be fine using a splitter Y cable with that antenna to both of your FA sticks. Someone more knowledgeable than I will let you know if there’s a signal strength/loss issue with a splitter, but I assume it would work.
  5. You’ll need to serialize both FA sticks. → How-to Serialize Dongles for ES1090 + UAT978

If you are using the PiAware RPI image, just go to @abcd567 's post here.

If you installed PiAware (and dump1090-fa and dump978-fa) packages manually, this might help, after you serialize your dongles:
a. Update dump1090-fa and dump978-fa configs, e.g.
sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa
Modify like: RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--device-index 00001090 --gain <your-gain-#-here> --ppm 0""
b. sudo nano /etc/default/dump978-fa
Modify → RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--sdr driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978 --sdr-gain <your-gain-#-here> --format CS8"

With my package install, I have this in my piaware.conf anyway.
c. sudo nano /etc/piaware.conf
uat-receiver-type sdr # updated by fa_piaware_config
uat-sdr-device driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978 # updated by fa_piaware_config

3 Likes