1000 miles to the next closest feeder

Looking at the coverage map (below) note there is a guy up in Nunavut with no other feeders for 1000+ miles.
I would argue that his feed is worth more to FA than the 1001st feeder in the NYC area. Is there someway to award more points to really isolated feeders in the middle of nowhere that don’t get much traffic, but their reports are really valuable?

Probably gets all Asia bound heavy traffic.

What points? I feel like I might be missing out on something.

Without a new Ford Truck as a prize, I fail to see what any points are worth. :slight_smile:

I’d be happy to see the whole concept put to sleep, and then people can get back to more important things.

Note that that site is a FlightFeeder, i.e. FlightAware supplied the hardware…

Looked at his stats, hard to get MLATs alone. Checked the weather -40 deg. At that point it doesn’t matter if it’s F or C.

Oh that’s a good point. They realize he gets all the Asia traffic.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No feeder at Alert, Nunavut, Canada!
Temperature: -50 C / -58 F,
Windchill -65 C

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/457/31911969450_2c2b3a9d2a_o.png

Alert, in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada, is the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world, at latitude 82°30’05" north, 817 kilometres (508 mi) from the North Pole. Its permanent population was reported as 0 to 5 in the 2011, but military and scientific personnel on rotation were present. It takes its name from HMS Alert, which wintered 10 km (6.2 mi) east of the present station, off what is now Cape Sheridan, in 1875–1876.

Alert has many temporary inhabitants as it hosts a military signals intelligence radio receiving facility at Canadian Forces Station Alert (CFS Alert), as well as a co-located Environment Canada weather station, a Global Atmosphere Watch (GAW) atmosphere monitoring laboratory, and the Alert Airport.

Alert Airport

Environment Canada air chemistry observatory/NOAA - Alert observatory

Wow that’s pretty cool, no pun intended. And I thought I was doing good, closest feeder to me is 128 miles. There used to be one in my city but it seems it moved. Still shows up but a bit over 130 miles now.

Never felt -65C windchill before but have felt -50C. I remember as a kid waiting for the school bus in that…if it came. Sometimes they’d get canceled because diesel does not like those temps. :mrgreen:

This would potentially discourage people from getting their nearby friends to put up receivers, if it means less points for themselves. And people don’t have a choice to move to a remote area, they can only choose to put up a receiver or not wherever they are at already. So I’m not sure what this would incentivize.

it would be great to get some points or hardware/software upgrades when necessary ( not money ), its almost a year since FA sent me free equipment’s am very pleased to share ADS-B/MLAT data

thank you

yeah sending out free equipment to the most valuable feeders would be a great idea. especially if they have friends who could host the 3km - 10 km from the original location. For flights coming from Asia as soon as one of these lonely souls makes contact you know the flight is over the north american continent and ~ 2hrs before they are over major pop centers like edmonton. this is the reason the US build early warning systems up in the canadian arctic in the first place, spot soviet bombers coming over the arctic with time to mobilize.

And the soviet bombers couldn’t be depended upon to use ADSB reliably