Yet another Spider Question

I read many posts, but can’t find the answer to my question.
Figuring out how to connect the “spider” to the FlightAware Pro Stick Plus USB ADS-B Receiver.

I’m going to use the setup in-house.

Is the following correct?

SO-239, with UHF female to connect to
Adapter with UHF Male and SMA Female (showmecables.com/product/SMA … ?link=YMAL)
SMA Cable male/male (1 m)
Pro Stick (has female SMA)

Would that work?

Thanks!!

1 Like

if the SO-239 is a bulkhead style connector that the spider is made on, then yes that should work fine.

Maybe, but avoid using UHF connectors, they aren’t designed to work with high frequencies and you’ll get huge losses above 300Mhz.

Use N connectors instead

Okay Aldoir, so I’ll change my setup to:
Your N-Connector Female
Adapter N Male - SMA Female
SMA Cable, 2 m, loss 0.59 dB/m, Male - Male
FlightAware Pro Stick Plus (Female SMA)

Will that be a good plan?

My indoor Spider:
A quick & temporary solution, till one gets necessary connectors to make a regular Spider.

For details of “how to make”, please see this post:
post166626.html#p166626

1 Like

Yes, it is a good plan.
The 1.2 dB loss in 2 meter coax shows it is a lossy cable, but because of high gain (19 dB) of Pro Stick’s integral rf amplifier, it is ok.

Another option, which requires one adapter less, is:
N Connector panel mount type, female (the one suggested by Aldoir)
Cable 2 meters, N male at Spider end, SMA male at ProStick end.
ProStick (SMA female).

EDIT: Image was not showing, wrong url. Corrected image url.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/TnYAAOSw-RRXC0pi/s-l225.jpg . http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/axwAAOSwYGFUrg0k/s-l225.jpg

1 Like

Yes, looks a good plan. 2M cable is ideal for .66 velocity factor cables (RG58 for example), as it is a perfect multiple of half wave length (275/2*.66*22 = 199,6cm). For different lengths always take this formula into account.

How much cable wavelength affect performance? It can raise a well matched SWR antenna from 1.3:1 to ~3:1, that would mean 25 to 30% of signal loss

Remember you might also need a filter, depending on your region, strong RF signals can saturate your dongle and not allowing it to receive a single aircraft

Thank you Aldoir, I’m planning to use a FlightAware Pro Stick Plus, which has a built-in filter.

Has a built in filter AFTER the pre amplifier. If you have strong interferences it will saturate the preamp as well.

Unfortunatelly there is no turn key solution for this, you have to test. The good thing is that you’re aware of all the variables.

I have made (tested and compared) several homemade antenna and I find it very helpful, to put a small pigtail on either the cantenna or the spider. It makes switching them around much easier. Cold fingers once messed up a soldered spider. With a pigtail you are connecting a ways from the soldered parts. Good Luck!