When PiAware stops feeding

If PiAware has been configured to allow FlightAware to remote upgrade and send commands to PiAware, could you add radio buttons to the web interface to

1. For the server to automatically send the commands to restart dump1090 or PiAware if one of those modules has stopped working.
  2. If (1) doesnt fix the problem for the server to initiate a remote reboot.

This assumes the server still has sufficient communications to issue the commands.

If PiAware has stopped, we canā€™t send commands.
If dump1090 has stopped feeding data, the local piaware will automatically try to restart it after a while.

While itā€™s not automated, you can send reboot commands manually from the website if you think the system has wedged. Iā€™m a little reluctant to automate reboots on systems that arenā€™t maintained by FlightAware.

1 Like

If weā€™re running a flight aware standard image and weā€™ve requested you to remotely update the software - then you are 90% maintaining the station.

if we tick a checkbox to say please attempt to restart if data stops coming through, it just removes the the 8-10hour delay (6 hours to send notification, 4 hours to wake and see it) when ā€˜the radioā€™ has wedged.

1 Like

If dump1090 has stopped feeding data, the local piaware will automatically try to restart it after a while.

Iā€™d like it if there was a standard watchdog to restart all the standard modules, if that didnt work do a reboot. with tha final fallback of hardware watchdog restart

1 Like

It would really help if it would use

kill -9 dump1090-fa

Iā€™ve read quite a few reports and experienced it myself that dump1090 will just crash when a wedge occurs and the regular restart attempts by piaware donā€™t work.

ā€¦ which is why i was asking if something could be put in ghe software that could be enabled once a feed has been established to attempt the following.

1. Restart the pi-aware software

2. Restart the pi

3. Have the hardware reset setup so if pi-aware doesnt keep updating a timer counter ā€¦ will hard reset the pi.

Steps 2 & 3 could be selectable by flags on the flightaware account (like automatically update to latest version software), and dont get enabled until pi aware us up and running (so the pi doesnt end up in a reboot loop on comms failure)

I know itā€™s been a while, but has anyone put any thought into doing, or putting a script onto the standard image to configure the bullet proof feeder.

Presently Iā€™ve got the settings for flight aware to notify me if my feeder is offline for 6 hours - the usual notification arrives after 10-12 hours.

I would really like to have a watchdog that is activated once feeding has commenced, then if it fails

• Restart Pi aware
  • reboot the pi
  • use the hardware watchdog to restart the pi (if all else fails)

I think Iā€™m configured to do nearly
this, but cant test easily.

Iā€™ve got a Pi that has been offline for a month and I wonā€™t be onsite to poke it for another month, so I too would like improved ā€˜recoveryā€™ options.
However, Iā€™d like to point out, you canā€™t put ā€œbullet proofā€ monitoring into software because it relies on the Pi still being able to execute the code.

The option of ā€˜bullet resistantā€™ would be desirable especially on remote sites.

But you can if you use the watchdog timer.
You set the timer

Something happens

You try to correct it

You try a soft reboot

All the time the hardware based watchdog timer is counting down

If the timer reaches zero, the pi does a hard reboot ā€¦ but if its doing an invomplete file op ā€¦ there is a possibilty to corrupt the sd card.

If the event hasnt happend, you sleep a while then set the timer & test again

Mmh, I think my RPi stopped working only once in more than two years, and then I could not ssh into it, so I guess everything else stopped working too and had to unplug it to reboot. Not sure anything on the software side could have prevented that.

What I do once a year is putting in a new sdcard with ample size for wear levelling from a known brand like Samsung or SanDisk. I also have a spare ready so that it can be easily substituted in case it breaks and I am away.

A lot of problems can be tracked down to an insufficient power supply, cheaper ones and those made for charging phones are known to cause trouble. If the troubles come from the power supply side, maybe a ups could help, I think I remember seeing ups hats for the RPi.

I read here some people used cron to reboot their Pi each day or rather night, not sure what the verdict was then, good, or bad.

I think itā€™s generally considered a poor kludge.
You are better finding and fixing the problem that requires a daily reboot.
For your system, you would have had over 700 unnecessary reboots for your one failure.

The most likely failures are the wifi link goes down or the kernel panics and stops. So what is needed is a loop that that detects if a repair / restart is needed, and a preceding loop to test that the system - following a startup - has reached the correct condition to start the main loop.

A good startup loop might test for the WiFi link being up, if it is set a flag to start the main loop, otherwise sleep 5 before retesting.

The second loop process enables the watchdog timer in the preamble then

Sets the timer to say 30 seconds,

Tests the WiFi

If itā€™s ok, sleep 20 then repeat setting the watchdog and test WiFi.

If WiFi is down, restart the pi

While this is happening the watchdog in hardware is counting down, if it reaches zero (software panic), it will perform a hard reboot ā€¦ with no shutdown.

The hard watchdog should be rarely needed if ever and i believe piaware already sets the watchdog, but that only triggers if the Pi really locks up which should be rare.

For the most common stuff i have done scripts:

dump1090-fa hanging reset script:
(Dump1090-fa stops sending messages after some time - #12 by wiedehopf)

Resetting the network when that fails:
(Feeder Outage: PiAware 'anyname' is not sending ADS-B data to FlightAware - #4 by wiedehopf)

So i guess you are mainly posting here to get it integrated into piaware?
Because those scripts are actual solutions to your problem.

Have you actually using both scripts?
As i wrote before the network thingie can just as well be written so that it reboots.

I think the watchdog code has been compiled into the kernel - but isnt used in piaware.

If a script using the watchdog was included and just needed configuration and enabling.